Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-17T09:01:47Z by RobertoGiordani
RickyHolcomb
RickyHolcomb
386 Posts

Pinned topic Announcing IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server Beta 3

‏2013-05-08T15:23:05Z |

IBM is proud to announce the release of the new IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server Beta 3.  This new Beta release brings you the next generation of IBM's popular problem determination and troubleshooting platform. This complimentary offering provides a rich set of problem determination tools and functions to help you find the root cause of software problems and enhance your productivity.  Beta 3  includes several new features based on your feedback. Watch the overview video to learn more about IBM Support Assistant.

New features in Beta 3

• Updated administration console - Install, update, remove and discover tools within the new console interface.
  • Secure communication - All transfers are encrypted over https to protect your data
  • Authentication/Authorization - Administration functions can be restricted to a subset of users
  • Quick Launch icon - Quickly identify and launch tools directly from the Files tab.
  • Checksum tool - Confirm file integrity with the new checksum tool.
  • Multiple file download capability - Download multiple files simultaneously.
  • New UI theme - Provides a fresh new look and feel that is consistent with other IBM applications and sites.

To learn more about IBM Support Assistant. 5.0 Team Server Beta 3 or to access the download site for this new release, please see the  Announcement Letter.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Updated on 2013-05-08T15:46:11Z at 2013-05-08T15:46:11Z by RickyHolcomb
  • RobertoGiordani
    RobertoGiordani
    2 Posts

Re: Announcing IBM Support Assistant 5.0 Team Server Beta 3

‏2013-05-13T15:38:13Z  

Hi,

great tool, but where I can found user manual to customize Authentication/Authorization feature?

Is it possible to select for each authenticated user which directory should use for own cases?

Which  special-subject type is available ?  <special-subject type="EVERYONE" /> only?

Thanks!

Updated on 2013-05-13T15:54:47Z at 2013-05-13T15:54:47Z by RobertoGiordani
  • RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    386 Posts

‏2013-05-13T16:50:49Z  

Hi,

great tool, but where I can found user manual to customize Authentication/Authorization feature?

Is it possible to select for each authenticated user which directory should use for own cases?

Which  special-subject type is available ?  <special-subject type="EVERYONE" /> only?

Thanks!

Hello Roberto,

The documentation can be found in the Help Center in the top right hand corner of the IBM Support Assistant UI.  it will be under "IBM Support Assistant -> Configuring IBM Support Assistant -> Authentication and Authorization support".

If you are on the locale host,  this link should get you to the location:

https://localhost:10911/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.isa.help.doc%2Fhtml%2Fconfigure%2Fauthentication.html

Otherwise just change the "localehost" in the link,  to the hostname or IP address of your server.

Thanks,

Ricky holcomb,

• JimMcVea
    JimMcVea
    6 Posts

‏2013-05-14T22:27:29Z  

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi Roberto,

Beta 3 provides limited authentication/authorization support with the primary intent of restricting access to the Administration views.  This helps to limit who is able to perform installs, uninstalls and updates of the problem determination tools.

In the Help Center document that Ricky referenced, there's some basic information that talks about how to modify the default 'admin' userid and/or password as well as how to encode a password for the configuration.  ISA Beta 3 is just using a basic registry, so it is possible to add more users beyond the 'admin' id.

Although we haven't done thorough testing of authentication/authorization configurations beyond the basics shipped with Beta 3, it should be possible for you to restrict access to the entire application.  For example, if you had three users (Mary, Joe and Bob), you can add them to the <basicRegistry> configuration in the ISA_install\wlp\usr\servers\isa\server.xml file.

Once they're declared as users, you could also modify the 'user-role' security-role to use the special-subject ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS.  ISA is using an embedded WebSphere runtime and EVERYONE and ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS are the only special-subject values currently supported.  The server.xml should contain sections that look something like this:

<application id="Sherlock_ISA_EAR" location="ISA5.ear" name="Sherlock_ISA_EAR" type="ear">
    <classloader delegation="parentLast" />
    <application-bnd>
      <security-role name="admin-role">
        <!-- Use the 'adminGroup' group to secure the ISA administration pages -->
        <group name="adminGroup" />
      </security-role>
      <security-role name="unsecured">
        <special-subject type="EVERYONE" />
      </security-role>
      <security-role name="user-role">
        <special-subject type="ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS" />
      </security-role>
    </application-bnd>
    </application>

<basicRegistry id="basic" realm="ISABasicRealm">
      <user name="admin" password="admin" />
      <user name="joe" password="secret" />
      <user name="mary" password="password" />
      <user name="bob" password="{xor}LDo8LTor" />
      <group name="adminGroup">
        <member name="admin" />
        <member name="bob" />
      </group>
    </basicRegistry>

The configuration above will prompt for credentials when first accessing ISA.  Joe, Mary and Bob will need to provide their userid/password.  Bob is listed in the adminGroup, so he will be able to access the Administration view.  However, Mary and Joe will only be able to access the main ISA application and will get a 403 error if they try to access the Administration panels.

At this time, its not possible to restrict users on a per-case basis.  If this is something that you need or if you have additional authentication/authorization requirements, please let us know so that we can consider your needs for future releases.

Thanks,

...Jim McVea

Updated on 2013-05-14T22:33:31Z at 2013-05-14T22:33:31Z by JimMcVea
  • B23G_Dave_Schlick
    B23G_Dave_Schlick
    1 Post

‏2013-05-15T09:23:53Z  

I've been having issues downloading this from the page for the last 3 days. Are there different download locations ?

• Joe Reinwald
    Joe Reinwald
    14 Posts

‏2013-05-15T13:35:51Z  

Hi,

When will ISA 5 Beta 3 be available for other versions of Linux, i.e. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32 or 64 bit)?

Thanks,

Joe Reinwald

• RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    386 Posts

‏2013-05-15T15:12:48Z  

Hi,

When will ISA 5 Beta 3 be available for other versions of Linux, i.e. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32 or 64 bit)?

Thanks,

Joe Reinwald

Hello Joe,

Sorry I can not answer that question at this time about SUSE Linux.  However I am almost certain that we will not be adding support for any 32 bit Linux systems.  Since this is the first request I have seen about adding additional Linux versions, I will need to speak with our developers in more detail about this request,  Will get back with you shortly.

Thanks,

Ricky Holcomb

• RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    386 Posts

‏2013-05-15T16:10:58Z  

I've been having issues downloading this from the page for the last 3 days. Are there different download locations ?

Hello Dave,

Sorry there is not another download site.  I researched the issue and W3.ibm,com has been aware of the issue over the past week.  They are currently trying to isolate the issue.   The performance and stability issues, have been particularly during Americas' morning hours.  Currently there is no ETA, as to when the issue will be resolved, as they are still investigating the issue.

You may want to try to download again in the late afternoon or early morning hours, untill the problem is resolved.  I will update this forum as soon as I have more details on an ETA.

Thanks,

Ricky Holcomb

• RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    386 Posts

‏2013-05-16T16:18:19Z  

Hi Dave,

The site has still been having some intermittent issues, however I just tried it and was able to download without any issuses.  You may want to try again, if you have not already downloaded the new Beta.

Thanks.

Ricky Holcomb

• RobertoGiordani
    RobertoGiordani
    2 Posts

‏2013-05-17T09:01:47Z  
    • JimMcVea
    • ‏2013-05-14T22:27:29Z

Hi Roberto,

Beta 3 provides limited authentication/authorization support with the primary intent of restricting access to the Administration views.  This helps to limit who is able to perform installs, uninstalls and updates of the problem determination tools.

In the Help Center document that Ricky referenced, there's some basic information that talks about how to modify the default 'admin' userid and/or password as well as how to encode a password for the configuration.  ISA Beta 3 is just using a basic registry, so it is possible to add more users beyond the 'admin' id.

Although we haven't done thorough testing of authentication/authorization configurations beyond the basics shipped with Beta 3, it should be possible for you to restrict access to the entire application.  For example, if you had three users (Mary, Joe and Bob), you can add them to the <basicRegistry> configuration in the ISA_install\wlp\usr\servers\isa\server.xml file.

Once they're declared as users, you could also modify the 'user-role' security-role to use the special-subject ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS.  ISA is using an embedded WebSphere runtime and EVERYONE and ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS are the only special-subject values currently supported.  The server.xml should contain sections that look something like this:

<application id="Sherlock_ISA_EAR" location="ISA5.ear" name="Sherlock_ISA_EAR" type="ear">
    <classloader delegation="parentLast" />
    <application-bnd>
      <security-role name="admin-role">
        <!-- Use the 'adminGroup' group to secure the ISA administration pages -->
        <group name="adminGroup" />
      </security-role>
      <security-role name="unsecured">
        <special-subject type="EVERYONE" />
      </security-role>
      <security-role name="user-role">
        <special-subject type="ALL_AUTHENTICATED_USERS" />
      </security-role>
    </application-bnd>
    </application>

<basicRegistry id="basic" realm="ISABasicRealm">
      <user name="admin" password="admin" />
      <user name="joe" password="secret" />
      <user name="mary" password="password" />
      <user name="bob" password="{xor}LDo8LTor" />
      <group name="adminGroup">
        <member name="admin" />
        <member name="bob" />
      </group>
    </basicRegistry>

The configuration above will prompt for credentials when first accessing ISA.  Joe, Mary and Bob will need to provide their userid/password.  Bob is listed in the adminGroup, so he will be able to access the Administration view.  However, Mary and Joe will only be able to access the main ISA application and will get a 403 error if they try to access the Administration panels.

At this time, its not possible to restrict users on a per-case basis.  If this is something that you need or if you have additional authentication/authorization requirements, please let us know so that we can consider your needs for future releases.

Thanks,

...Jim McVea

Hello Jim,
    thank you for reply, your config is a little step of my goal.
    I'm preparing an environment for the developer where each one can use Log Analyzer to do troubleshooting on specific log, but each user can analyze only the log file  that can view based on a specific policy.

As you suggest I'll be very happy to find in next release the following features:
    1)user profiling: for each user the administrator can assign user home directory where they create own CASES.
    2)from log analyzer the interface permit to open not only files on the client connected to the web service, but from the web server file system too.

What is the release planning?

Regards,

Roberto.