• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-29T17:55:54Z by randybrown
5 Posts

Pinned topic Event Based Auto Population for the Existing Parent

‏2013-05-24T05:17:23Z |

I'm trying for event based auto population.

I have an Instance A and expected childs for Instance A are B,C,D

Parent A----> Childs (B,C,D)

Now parent A is already populated in my service tree then how can i do event population for this existing parent.Please suggest to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance

• randybrown
    64 Posts

Re: Event Based Auto Population for the Existing Parent

When you build the autopopulation rule it will allow you to also name the parent services moving up the template hierarchy. However, this assumes that the template hierarchy exists.

So I think first you need to create an aggregation rule for a template associated with A, and this aggregation rule must specify the template for B,C,D that contains, or will contain, the autopopulation rule. If this is done correctly, the template tree in the Service Configuration page will show the template A as the parent of the template tagged to B,C,D.

Then when you edit the autopopulation rule you will see the template hierarchy listed on the left side of the rule editor. If you click the name of the "parent template" (the one tagged to A), you can specify how the instance name is created for the parent.

Normally this might be a field from the event that drives the rule, or some expression combining fields from the rule. In your case, you can just enter the literal string A, by typing 'A' in the Instance Name Expression field. You must use the single quotes to distinguish the name as a literal name rather than as the name of a column in the event. This name must be the service instance name of the intended parent service, not the display name.

This will make the parent of your autopopulated services the service named 'A'. Since this is a hard-coded name, it does not provide the flexibility that you would have by getting the parent name from some field in the event, but it should satisfy the scenario you have described.

I hope that helps...

Randy Brown