Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-08T21:01:06Z by BJOwings
shaaric
shaaric
21 Posts

Pinned topic Where best for the Navigator DB?

‏2013-06-25T18:22:19Z |

I am in the process of configuring Content Navigator for the first time.  I'm not certain where the best 'home' for the Navigator DB should be?  I will be connecting to Content Manager and OnDemand - their db's are on separate servers.  I am planning to install Navigator on the same server than we currentlly have our CM eclient running.  Should the Navigator db be in the LS's db2 db or my OD db2 db?  Should they be part of an existing db or a new db?  We don't currently use db2 anywhere else in our enterprise.  What would be the pros/cons of where this is located?  Most of my users are CM users - all have access to OD, but not as many users access OD daily as CM in our environment.  I would apreciate hearing what is recommended and what others are doing.  Thanks.

This is a brief overview of our setup today:

We have a primary LS and a secondary using HADR (Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, db2 v9.7.8 64-bit, CM 8.4.3.1), we have 2 RMs (Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, db2 v9.7.8 64-bit, CM 8.4.3.1, TSM 5.5.6, WAS 7.0.0.23 64-bit,), OnDemand is on one of the same servers as the RM at v8.5, and we currently have 2 eclient servers that will be upgraded soon but that are still running on 32-bit WAS to let us use the eclient OD connector still. 

• damorris
    damorris
    825 Posts

Re: Where best for the Navigator DB?

‏2013-06-26T03:48:59Z  

There really isn't any best home for it.  It's whatever is easiest for you.  ICN's configuration information is stored in to a single table with two columns, so this is not a complex usage of a database.  You could choose to create a whole new database for that one table or you could create the table in an existing database such as the CM8 LS.  Generally I'd say the primary advantage of creating a new database is that backing it up would be simpler since it wouldn't contain any other data.

• shaaric
    shaaric
    21 Posts

‏2013-06-26T14:17:54Z  

Thank you for your reply.  It was very helpful.  A plus I see of adding it to the CM LS existing db for us would be that since I have HADR active on this db, the Navigator db would also be automatically part of the HADR so if I did have to fail over to the other LS, the Navigator table would be there and current already.  Do you know how much activity this table has, I can't imagine too much, but just wondering if it's updated repeatedly or if it''s generally has more reads than updates? 

• BJOwings
    BJOwings
    185 Posts

‏2013-07-08T21:01:06Z  
    • shaaric
    • ‏2013-06-26T14:17:54Z

Thank you for your reply.  It was very helpful.  A plus I see of adding it to the CM LS existing db for us would be that since I have HADR active on this db, the Navigator db would also be automatically part of the HADR so if I did have to fail over to the other LS, the Navigator table would be there and current already.  Do you know how much activity this table has, I can't imagine too much, but just wondering if it's updated repeatedly or if it''s generally has more reads than updates? 

The answer to the activity is a tricky one but since most shared configuration is cached in memory on the mid-tier the reads and updates are more likely to be per-user and so it depends on the typical user behavior.  If searching is mostly done it could be almost equal read and update as the list of frequently used searches is updated in the database.  Otherwise it is likely to be more read than update.