chinyeh
chinyeh
9 Posts

Pinned topic OutOfMemoryError: com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.ECLScreenReco$SDtoNotify

‏2013-07-09T04:53:29Z |

Hi,

Below is the full error stack:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Vector.newElementArray(Vector.java:127)
at java.util.Vector.growByOne(Vector.java:486)
at java.util.Vector.addElement(Vector.java:232)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.ECLScreenReco.RegisterScreen(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.beans.HOD.PlayThread.playActions(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.beans.HOD.PlayThread.NotifyEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.RecoEventHandler.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.EventHandler.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.EventHandlerThreadManager$EventThread.run(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.eNetwork.HOD.common.ThreadPoolThread.run(Unknown Source)

When I analysed the heap dump using MAT, I found out that this object, "com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.ECLScreenReco$SDtoNotify" occupied more than 80% of the total heap. 

What could be the possible cause?

• tmparker
    tmparker
    534 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: OutOfMemoryError: com.ibm.eNetwork.ECL.ECLScreenReco$SDtoNotify

‏2013-07-09T18:03:00Z  
    • chinyeh
    • ‏2013-07-09T17:59:16Z

In the message log, there're quite a number of "HPS6102 Internal macro processing error, extraction coordinates out of bounds" errors. But I didn't find any macro timed out or un-recognised screen kind of error.

Btw, our HATS version is 8.5 without any fix pack applied.

OK, I can tell you from many debugging experiences I've had that when the macros fail unexpectedly, like the out of bounds error, sometimes things don't get cleaned up and that leads to the memory leak problem.  We have made fixes for issues we've found and tried to clean up as best we can but there are still some unexpected issues when the macros break in certain ways.

Fix the out of bounds error and I'll bet the memory problem will go away.

Thanks

Tim

• tmparker
    tmparker
    534 Posts

‏2013-07-09T17:32:51Z  

Did you have a macro that timed out or got stuck in a loop?  Check the messages log file from the project, located in the logs folder in the EAR, to see if there are any macro timeout errors present.  If there are make sure you fix those.  Also, what is the exact version of HATS you saw this on?

Thanks

Tim

• chinyeh
    chinyeh
    9 Posts

‏2013-07-09T17:59:16Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2013-07-09T17:32:51Z

Did you have a macro that timed out or got stuck in a loop?  Check the messages log file from the project, located in the logs folder in the EAR, to see if there are any macro timeout errors present.  If there are make sure you fix those.  Also, what is the exact version of HATS you saw this on?

Thanks

Tim

In the message log, there're quite a number of "HPS6102 Internal macro processing error, extraction coordinates out of bounds" errors. But I didn't find any macro timed out or un-recognised screen kind of error.

• tmparker
    tmparker
    534 Posts

‏2013-07-09T18:03:00Z  
    • chinyeh
    • ‏2013-07-09T17:59:16Z

OK, I can tell you from many debugging experiences I've had that when the macros fail unexpectedly, like the out of bounds error, sometimes things don't get cleaned up and that leads to the memory leak problem.  We have made fixes for issues we've found and tried to clean up as best we can but there are still some unexpected issues when the macros break in certain ways.

Thanks

Tim

• chinyeh
    chinyeh
    9 Posts

‏2013-07-10T04:04:33Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2013-07-09T18:03:00Z

Thanks

Tim

Thank you so much for the information. I'll try to fix the out of bound issues and see if it's able to resolve the OOM.