• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-02T13:52:13Z by Krick
Krick
Krick
3 Posts

Pinned topic Error while trying to run RUNSTATS

‏2013-05-15T12:01:13Z |

Hello,

I was trying to analyse some workloads using Data Studio V3.2. Target is DB2 z/OS V9 NFM. I start the statistics advisor and try to run the recommended action. I don't get an error message, but I can see in the "RUNSTATS Result" tab that the job didn't run. I get the following message:

DSNU047I    135 05:48:03.05 DSNUSDRB - A REQUIRED DD CARD OR TEMPLATE IS MISSING. NAME=RNPRIN01
 DSNU012I    135 05:48:03.16 DSNUGBAC - UTILITY EXECUTION TERMINATED, HIGHEST RETURN CODE=8

I can copy the generated cards and start the job manually with the missing DD CARD, but I would prefer to configure the Job in Data Studio. I didn't find any place where I can change the Job accordingly.

I would be very thankful for any hint.

Thanks in advance,

Rodney Krick

Updated on 2013-06-02T13:57:42Z at 2013-06-02T13:57:42Z by Krick
  • jasonsizto
    jasonsizto
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Error while trying to run RUNSTATS

‏2013-05-31T21:04:44Z  
    • Krick
    • ‏2013-05-30T16:46:00Z

Xi,

thank you for your answer. I know the advisor options, but I cannot configure the JCL for RUNSTATS there. If you read through the documentation, you'll find the following statement:
    RNPRIN01 Allocates a data set for messages from the sort program. Required only if you plan to invoke RUNSTATS and collect distribution statistics.

When you start a RUNSTATS that need distribution statistics, the JCL must provide the DD RNPRIN01 and the one generated by IBM Data Studio doesn't! So, I want do find out if we have a kind of template for the JCL to put this DD Statement there.

Best regards,

Rodney Krick

Hi Rodney,

If you try to run the recommended action provided by the Statistics Advisor, you need to check the definition of the DSNUTILU SP and see which WLM ENV it is using.  Then, you need to update the JCL for that WLM with the following DD's.

//RNPRIN01 DD DUMMY
    //STPRIN01 DD DUMMY

If you want to copy the RUNSTATS command to a job with JCL, then, you need to add the above 2 DD's to your JCL.

Best Regards,

Jason Sizto

• xim
    xim
    1 Post

‏2013-05-30T06:08:44Z  

Hi Krick,

I guess you want to change the parameters in RUNSTATS statements. You can do it by the these steps:

1 when you are in the Invoke Tab, in the left of the panel, there is a button called "set advisor options"

2 Pls click this button, then a new page will open  in the right hand side

3 Now you can change the parameters in "Workload statistic Advisor" -> "RUNSTATS parameters". Depending on what you are tuning(a workload or single query), the name may change

4 After you finished, you can then switch back by click "run workload advisor" which just below the  "set advisor options"

5 Tuning the workload again, the new parameters will be picked up

Thanks and Best Regards,

Xi Meng

• Krick
    Krick
    3 Posts

‏2013-05-30T16:46:00Z  
    • xim
    • ‏2013-05-30T06:08:44Z

Hi Krick,

I guess you want to change the parameters in RUNSTATS statements. You can do it by the these steps:

1 when you are in the Invoke Tab, in the left of the panel, there is a button called "set advisor options"

2 Pls click this button, then a new page will open  in the right hand side

3 Now you can change the parameters in "Workload statistic Advisor" -> "RUNSTATS parameters". Depending on what you are tuning(a workload or single query), the name may change

4 After you finished, you can then switch back by click "run workload advisor" which just below the  "set advisor options"

5 Tuning the workload again, the new parameters will be picked up

Thanks and Best Regards,

Xi Meng

Xi,

thank you for your answer. I know the advisor options, but I cannot configure the JCL for RUNSTATS there. If you read through the documentation, you'll find the following statement:
    RNPRIN01 Allocates a data set for messages from the sort program. Required only if you plan to invoke RUNSTATS and collect distribution statistics.

When you start a RUNSTATS that need distribution statistics, the JCL must provide the DD RNPRIN01 and the one generated by IBM Data Studio doesn't! So, I want do find out if we have a kind of template for the JCL to put this DD Statement there.

Best regards,

Rodney Krick

• jasonsizto
    jasonsizto
    1 Post

‏2013-05-31T21:04:44Z  
    • Krick
    • ‏2013-05-30T16:46:00Z

Xi,

Best regards,

Rodney Krick

Hi Rodney,

If you try to run the recommended action provided by the Statistics Advisor, you need to check the definition of the DSNUTILU SP and see which WLM ENV it is using.  Then, you need to update the JCL for that WLM with the following DD's.

//RNPRIN01 DD DUMMY
    //STPRIN01 DD DUMMY

If you want to copy the RUNSTATS command to a job with JCL, then, you need to add the above 2 DD's to your JCL.

Best Regards,

Jason Sizto

• Krick
    Krick
    3 Posts

‏2013-06-02T13:52:13Z  

Hi Rodney,

//RNPRIN01 DD DUMMY
    //STPRIN01 DD DUMMY

Best Regards,

Jason Sizto

Jason,

thank you very much. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Regards,

Rodney