Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-05T20:29:45Z by Frank OKeefe
macnamae
macnamae
2 Posts

Pinned topic Strange Behavior in SV-2 Flows

‏2014-01-23T21:01:48Z |

Hi,

I'm seeing a strange issue with the naming of flows (Physical and System) in SV-2s. It seems that the each '&' or '/' takes more than 1 byte (5 in fact). So that the maximum length of the name property ends up being less than expected when either of these characters is used.

Has anyone seen similar behavior and or can anyone provide an explanation?

Thanks,

Ernie

  • Frank OKeefe
    Frank OKeefe
    13 Posts

    Re: Strange Behavior in SV-2 Flows

    ‏2014-01-31T19:31:18Z  

    Hi Ernie,

    What version of SA are you using?

    Are you using DoDAF 2?

    What report are you running to see the character length?

    Are you putting the character & or / in the flow name when you create the object?

    I would like to research this further but wanted to know a few more details from you.

    Thanks,

    Frank O'Keefe

  • macnamae
    macnamae
    2 Posts

    Re: Strange Behavior in SV-2 Flows

    ‏2014-01-31T22:53:46Z  

    Hi Ernie,

    What version of SA are you using?

    Are you using DoDAF 2?

    What report are you running to see the character length?

    Are you putting the character & or / in the flow name when you create the object?

    I would like to research this further but wanted to know a few more details from you.

    Thanks,

    Frank O'Keefe

    Hi Frank,

     

    I'm running SA version 11.4.2.4 (Build 57) and am using DoDAF 2.

     

    The problem occurs when typing an & and a / in the name of a Physical Resource Flow or a System Resource Flow in an SV-02. I haven't tried the regular resource flow but it will probably have the same problem. To recreate the issue:

     

    1) Create a new blank SV-02 Diagram.

    2) Add two System (DM2) symbols. Name them anything you want.

    3) Add a Physical Resource Flow between the two systems. Give it a long name. I went ahead and typed out 80 characters until I ran into the limit that SA imposes.

    4) Now that you have an 80 character name, erase up to 4 of the characters and replace it with an &.

    5) Save and close the diagram. Now try and reopen it. This gives me an error and crashes SA on closing the error dialog.

     

    While the & and / symbols each use up 5 bytes each, I am sure that some other characters also use more than 1 byte. The < character uses 4 bytes. I have not tried all possible characters to see what else breaks. The following flow names will cause errors:

     

    AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBB&

    AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBB/

    AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBB<

     

    Attached is a screenshot of the error. I get this problem whether I'm creating a new flow with the name or if I'm renaming a current flow.

    Thanks,

    Ernie

  • Frank OKeefe
    Frank OKeefe
    13 Posts

    Re: Strange Behavior in SV-2 Flows

    ‏2014-02-05T20:29:45Z  

    Hi Ernie,

    Thanks for the update and detailed information.

    I just tried this in SA 11.4.2.5 (Build 47) because this is the version I have currently installed.

    I was able to add a & character and a / at the end of the symbol name.

    I saved the diagram and reopened the diagram without SA crashing or causing an error.

    I then closed SA and reopened again without an issue.

    I will try to find a host with 11.4.2.4 installed to match your SA version but for some reason I could not duplicate this in 11.4.2.5.

    I also changed the name by also changing the physical flow definition name so perhaps this is what might be a different step

    than what you might be doing.

     

    I will attach screen shots of what I see here.

    Thanks,

    Frank O'Keefe

    Attachments