• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-20T07:43:55Z by juepo
cwoliveira
cwoliveira
34 Posts

Pinned topic How to generate Datastream information with custom monitors

‏2014-02-18T18:29:03Z |

Hi,

I am testing fine some custom monitors. This is a sample shell that is running as SM Custom Monitor with no issues:

#!/bin/sh
echo "# message testmon01"
#echo ok
echo not_ok
exit 0;

So, my question is how to generate data from this type of custom monitor to new or existing Datastreams ? My custom monitors events are all displayed with "N/A" datastream, so reports from them do not display any data.

Under custom monitor configuration, I cannot find anything related to Datastream (see attached screenshot).

Is there someone with similar question / issue ?

This is system information:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)

ECM System Monitor 5.1.0.2

Regards,

Carlos

Updated on 2014-02-18T18:36:49Z at 2014-02-18T18:36:49Z by cwoliveira
  • cwoliveira
    cwoliveira
    34 Posts

Re: How to generate Datastream information with custom monitors

‏2014-02-27T01:43:39Z  

Something should be missing on previous testing. Even with the N/A datastream and correct period and schedule, the ECM SM was able to generate reports with no issues, using the values (ok, not_ok, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc) returned by custom monitor via stdout.

For now, question answered.

Thanks,

Carlos.

• juepo
    juepo
    30 Posts

‏2014-03-18T13:34:16Z  

Something should be missing on previous testing. Even with the N/A datastream and correct period and schedule, the ECM SM was able to generate reports with no issues, using the values (ok, not_ok, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc) returned by custom monitor via stdout.

For now, question answered.

Thanks,

Carlos.

Carlos,

you can set any kind of event detail in a custom monitor using this syntax inside the monitor script:

echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ error_id datastream_for_custom_monitor"
    echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ source custom_monitor"
    echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ sub_source calamon"

The slot "error_id" is mapped by the ECM SM server to datastream if the event comes from the monitoring engine of the agent. Source and sub_source are mapped one to one.

Everything else echoed to std_out with a leading # sign will be interpreted as part of the message, only if # is followed by _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ it has a special interpretation. Anything echoed to std_out with a leading # will be interpreted as value and then compared to the values in the escalation table from the monitor configuration.

Regards

Juergen

Regards,

• cwoliveira
    cwoliveira
    34 Posts

‏2014-03-19T19:32:40Z  
    • juepo
    • ‏2014-03-18T13:34:16Z

Carlos,

you can set any kind of event detail in a custom monitor using this syntax inside the monitor script:

echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ error_id datastream_for_custom_monitor"
    echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ source custom_monitor"
    echo "# _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ sub_source calamon"

The slot "error_id" is mapped by the ECM SM server to datastream if the event comes from the monitoring engine of the agent. Source and sub_source are mapped one to one.

Everything else echoed to std_out with a leading # sign will be interpreted as part of the message, only if # is followed by _CALAMON_SET_SLOT_ it has a special interpretation. Anything echoed to std_out with a leading # will be interpreted as value and then compared to the values in the escalation table from the monitor configuration.

Regards

Juergen

Regards,

Thanks Juergen by "error_id" tip, now the custom monitor is populating a DataStream also.

Unfortunately I didn't find references about "_CALAMON_SET_SLOT_" feature on IBM ECM SM product documentation before.

Regards,

Carlos.

• juepo
    juepo
    30 Posts

‏2014-03-20T07:43:55Z  

Thanks Juergen by "error_id" tip, now the custom monitor is populating a DataStream also.

Unfortunately I didn't find references about "_CALAMON_SET_SLOT_" feature on IBM ECM SM product documentation before.

Regards,

Carlos.

Carlos,

This is not described in the ECM SM docs, it's advanced konowledge! ;-)

We teach this in our ECM SM admin courses (individual training courses onsite).

Regards,

Juergen