• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-09T07:06:52Z by flames
flames
flames
417 Posts

Pinned topic Notification templates customization - corporate branding

‏2013-10-21T19:01:20Z |

All

I've never really had to delve too deeply into notification templates, but I'm getting a requirement coming through for some corporate branding based on an attribute of the account owner. I have no problem getting the attribute value on the account owner, but it's the conditional look and feel that I have no idea about. I suspect I need to take a look at the stylesheets declared in the template, and display conditional images and formatting based on that stylesheet.

ie attribute value = X, display Ximage.gif. attribute value = Y, display Yimage.gif. etc.

Never been a web developer, so this front end malarkey is mostly new to me.

So, is it possible within the ISIM templates, and if so, has anyone achieved something similar ?

Thanks in advance. Not been on here for a while.

• goonitsupport
    goonitsupport
    103 Posts

Re: Notification templates customization - corporate branding

‏2013-10-22T08:50:01Z  

I like this question and it got me to thinking how this could be achieved. My first thought was there must be something that could be done with Javascript in the template but having had a quick look at the templates I don't think it can be done (would love to be proved wrong or have other confirmation here). And of course Java script won't work in the email itself either.

So one way I know it could be done would be to write your own email extension (there may be 1 already in your organisation;-) ). I would have an email extension being passed variables in an ArrayList containing key/value pairs. The extension can parse the pairs and send the appropriate email based on your Person/Account attributes. You would need to incorporate some email templates ( I have used Freemarker before for this ).

All the best,

• franzw
    franzw
    339 Posts

‏2013-10-22T17:41:53Z  

I think this is worth an RFE - this should be included in the templates OOB IMHO.

There is for me no obvious reason that corporate branding should not include Notification templates.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• flames
    flames
    417 Posts

‏2013-10-22T19:27:03Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-10-22T17:41:53Z

I think this is worth an RFE - this should be included in the templates OOB IMHO.

There is for me no obvious reason that corporate branding should not include Notification templates.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Thanks Gents

I'll raise an RFE and if the requirement firms up, I'll look to implement an extension as per goon's suggestion. Last extension I wrote was FESI, so I'll look forward to some IBMJS goodness. Or quick and dirty I could expose the JavaMail lib to the workflow engine and pass through all the required formatted text.

ITIM/ISIM has always seemed to be percieved as a corporate internal tool, where a limited look and feel customization is good enough. With a product that allows a delegated administration model, some consideration for a more complex branding requirement for the GUI and notifications would be useful. In my head, this would be a resource package that can be slipstreamed into the product on the fly. Like a language pack.

Niall