6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-13T05:49:34Z by rja
rja
rja
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Disk local not found durring installation vSphere 5 on x3550 M4

‏2013-05-07T14:29:30Z |

Hi all,

I tried to install vSphere 5.0 on server x3550 m4 with 2 disk raid 1, during the installation the server show that there is no disk inside the server.

in the webBios all disk are OK.

is everyone can help me what is the problem?

thanks in advance,

Regards,

Rja

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    131 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Disk local not found durring installation vSphere 5 on x3550 M4

‏2013-05-07T17:58:12Z  in response to rja

Hi Rja,

Are you using the IBM customized vSphere installer or the native VMware installer?

Dave

• rja
      rja
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T06:56:44Z  in response to DaveQ

Hi Dave,

I don't know exactly native VMware installer, I would like just install vSphere 5. on the internal disk. I think that IBM customized vSphere is only for USB key??

Regards,

Rja

• DaveQ
        DaveQ
        131 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T08:07:53Z  in response to rja

Rja,

The IBM customized vSphere installer is for use on any IBM server that you intend on running vSphere. If you use the native (VMware provided) vSphere image, you are not including IBM hardware specific drivers and monitoring providers. It is not just for use on the USB keys, it is for use on any IBM server regardless of installation type (embedded or installable).

You may download the images here, select the version you need from the drop-down box under "Download images":

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/index.html

Unrelated, can you also confirm that you created a virtual disk, in addition to the array? Besides creating the RAID 1 array, you must also have created a virtual disk (LUN) which will appear as VD0.

Dave

• rja
          rja
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T13:56:15Z  in response to DaveQ

Dave,

Download is stil running....,I'll try to install it. I have already installed my vSphere CD in another  server x3550 M2 last year and it works well. that's why I asked you, why it doesn't work with x3550 M4, I already created virtual disk VD0.

Thanks,

Rja

• DaveQ
            DaveQ
            131 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-08T17:21:42Z  in response to rja

Hi Rja,

The 3550 M2 is a much older server and most of the base drivers for the platform will be included in the native vSphere 5 / 5.1 images. Even so, not using the IBM customized vSphere image will deprive you of IBM specific drivers and accurate monitoring providers.

The 3550 M4 is new and the drivers will not be included in the native vSphere image.

Regardless of the server vendor, it is always recommended to use the vendor customized vSphere image. HP and Dell produce their own as well for their server models for the same reasons as IBM.

If you are going to use vSphere 5.0, I recommend downloading the 5.0 U2 image to ensure you are current.

Good luck.

Dave

• rja
              rja
              6 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-13T05:49:34Z  in response to DaveQ

Hi Dave,

Big thanks for you it work fine,

Regards,

Rja