Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-22T01:35:24Z by mahoneyb
thib
thib
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Connect PowerVC to SCE 3.2

‏2014-01-22T15:03:45Z |

We installed PowerVC and it is running fine.

We are now trying to connect our SCE 3.2 Appliance to PowerVC, but connection is failing, and we could not find proper documentation to achieve this. Aside from this, SCE is connected to VMWare Cloud and VMControl cloud.

Could someone explain how to do it ?

Thanks,

Thibaud

• nagger
    nagger
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Connect PowerVC to SCE 3.2

‏2014-01-22T18:47:24Z  in response to thib

SCE 3.2 Documentation website

Follow that link and download the SCE 3.2 Admin Guide

Section 7 includes "Configuring the PowerVC virtualization environment"

Never tried it myself but that is the "proper documentation" or are you complaining that this document is not good enough?

cheers, Nigel

• ibm6000
      ibm6000
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-23T08:31:50Z  in response to nagger

config SCE with openstack is really complicated.  Those developer need think about it.

• PowerBill
    PowerBill
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-23T22:09:56Z  in response to thib

I've done the SCEntry 3.2 integration with PowerVC.

Nigel's pointer to the SCE 3.2 Administrators Guide is the best place to start.  The instructions are pretty clear, but lengthy.  Be sure you have a target machine  that has 4 CPU and 8GB memory free for the SCEntry VM.

Note that you can't connect to a PowerVC cloud from an SCEntry 3.2 installation that is done using the traditional installer.  You have to install the SCEntry 3.2 appliance.  This is a RHEL 6.4-based VM that you then customize to point to the PowerVC cloud.  The PowerVC cloud definition in SCEntry 3.2 is actually a pointer to the Openstack instance running in the SCEntry 3.2 VM.  You customize the PowerVC server information in the /etc/powervc/powervc.conf file.  That customization can be done using sceappmgr on the SCEntry 3.2 VM.

Also note that the PowerVC cloud definition in SCEntry 3.2 requires specific administrator and qpidclient ID/PW combinations in order for the connection to be established.

There are other little things to pay attention to, but they are documented clearly in the Admin Guide.

HTH, Bill

• kunger
      kunger
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-24T16:03:50Z  in response to PowerBill

Hi Bill,

I've configured the powervc.conf file, but don't believe I have the correct qpidclient ID/PW from my PowerVC instance.   I do not have an /opt/ibm/powervc/data/pw.file ..   Did you create one, or is there another place to find the qpidclient PW/ID?   Thanks

• PowerBill
        PowerBill
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-27T13:58:47Z  in response to kunger

I didn't create the pw.file in the PowerVC instance.  It was already there.  I specified powervc_qpid as the userid in the powervc.conf file in SCEntry 3.2.  I don't know where you can get the PowerVC qpid password if it's not in that file.  I will look into it (interesting question).

• kunger
          kunger
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-29T15:12:48Z  in response to PowerBill

I have part of my problem resolved.   The qpid password was created when I installed PowerVC FP1, which I had omitted.  Now I'm working on the SCE configuration. 

• mahoneyb
            mahoneyb
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-22T01:35:24Z  in response to kunger

In the SCE 3.2 admin guide, please see pages 109 & 110 that discuss sceappmgr configuration of PowerVC and then visit pages  197 & 198 to see how to configure the cloud to communicate with PowerVC via the SCE web gui. 

Updated on 2014-03-22T01:35:35Z at 2014-03-22T01:35:35Z by mahoneyb