Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-05-28T17:34:57Z by MaureenT
MaureenT
MaureenT
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic V3700 hung on searching for quorum disks

‏2014-05-27T23:30:01Z |

I'm trying to setup a new V3700, so I went through the steps of setting up IPs, email...

After walking through the Initial Configuration in the GUI, I answered "No" to configure storage since I didn't want the default RAID5 config. 

I then went on to do some other configurations like a secondary mgmt IP and changing the IPs on the service NICs...

I then attempted to upgrade the firmware from 7.2.0.3 to 7.2.0.6.  The test utility and the upgrade all indicated they were successful but it still shows it at level 7.2.0.3.  I haven't power cycled the SAN but did log out and back into the GUI  as well as bouncing between screens and using F5 before that and it didn't update.

I then decided to configure some disk.  I went to Pools -> Internal Storage and clicked on "Configure Storage".

I set up a RAID 6 optimized for capacity using 31 136.23 GB SAS 15000rpm, io_grp0 disks.

This set it up for:

3 x Basic RAID 6

10,10, 9 drives

2 Hot spares

0 Unconfigured Drives

I indicated "Create one or more new pools" and gave it a base name that is 9 characters long and all letters.

It has been sitting at 50% done searching for quorum disks for about 2 hours now.  Is this normal and it just takes a long time to create the pools?

From everything I can find, its supposed to setup the quorum disks automatically, I don't need to set them up in advance.  Plan to leave it sit longer and if it doesn't finish will "Cancel" and try again.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before or a firmware upgrade appearing successful but not reporting the new version.  I assume that we shouldn't need to powercycle the SAN to pickup a firmware update since that won't be possible in the future when its running.

FYI, this has not been cabled up to any systems or fibre switches yet.  I am just working off the SAN plus 1 extra tray using firefox on a server in the same network.

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    271 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: V3700 hung on searching for quorum disks

‏2014-05-28T08:15:36Z  in response to MaureenT

That doesn't sound normal.   Creating pools should take only a few seconds.   (The array initialisation then runs in the background, so you can get on and do other stuff).

The new software version not showing up in the GUI also sounds odd.   You don't need to power cycle anything after an upgrade; it's all automatic.

It sounds possible that the GUI isn't behaving properly in your web browser.   Is it possible for you to try a different browser and see how that behaves?  (Though Firefox is the recommended browser).  Another thing to do would be to use CLI access over SSH to check the equivalent CLI views for things.

• MaureenT
    MaureenT
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-28T16:30:26Z  in response to MaureenT

So I had left it overnight and it was still hung looking for quorum disks.  "Cancel" didn't work on that screen but "Close" did.  It didn't appear to have created anything looking at the overview screen.  I did a Settings -> General -> GUI Prefernces -> Refresh GUI and now I see 3 mdisks and 1 pool.  My firmware version still doesn't show updated however.

It created 2 spares.  Is there a method in the GUI to see quorum disks to know they were created?

• MaureenT
      MaureenT
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-28T17:34:57Z  in response to MaureenT

ok, so I have the firmware issue explained - it was my mistake.  I did the Test Utility and then the firmware but I accidentally pointed at the test utility path again for the firmware.  Presently updating the firmware again.

The quorum disks are there.  Confirmed using ssh and lsquorum cmd.

So the only oddity is why it hung in the GUI looking for quorum disks but actually completed the tasks in the background.