Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-06T14:04:38Z by BhratPatel@IBM
Minyen
Minyen
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Adventures In Installation

‏2014-02-28T15:46:34Z |
I began documenting my experiences getting the BETA installed.  I welcome others' insights.

Adventures In Installing the OMNIpact BETA

Problem  IBM Installation Manager (IM) is listed as a prerequisite.
Resolution  Do nothing.  The necessary IM version is bundled with the component products.

Problem  The OMNIbus installation does not recognize a "group installation" of Installation Manager.
Resolution  Avoid the group install of IM.  Install as root/Administrator or as user.

Problem  The Installation Manager packages fail to install because none of the binaries or shell scripts have their execute permissions set.
Resolution  You can blast the whole <install_path> enabling execute permissions, but a (only marginally) more targeted approach could be...

find <install_path> -name "*.sh" -exec chmod ug+x {} \;
find <install_path> -type f -path "*/bin/*" \! -name "*.*" -exec chmod ug+x {} \;
find <install_path> -type f -name "*inst*" -exec chmod ug+x {} \;

Problem  The bundled version of Impact (6.1.1) does not support RHEL 6 past 6.2.
Resolution  Stick with RHEL 6.2.

Problem  Jazz also requires a DB2 package for installation.
Resolution  Grab some additional packages (but I am not yet sure if the supplements are necessary)...

IBM DB2 10.1 Enterprise Server Edition - Restricted Use Quick Start and Activation Multiplatform Multilingual (CI71NML)
IBM DB2 Enterprise Server Edition V10.1 for Linux on AMD64 and Intel® EM64T systems (x64) Multilingual (CI6W6ML)
(?) IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.5 Supplements (1 of 3) for Multiplatform Multilingual (CI6X0ML)
(?) IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.5 Supplements (2 of 3) for Multiplatform Multilingual (CI6X1ML)
(?) IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.5 Supplements (3 of 3) for Multiplatform Multilingual (CI6X2ML)

Problem  Does WAS need to be installed fully or can/should the Liberty Profile be used?
Resolution  Investigating…

Problem  What is the best installation order for all the packages?
Resolution  Investigating… (Suspect Jazz should be installed before OMNIbus and Impact as Jazz did not want to install using the IM bundled with OMNIbus.  If Jazz does need to be laid down first, need to identify reliable documented instructions such as "Quick path to installing Tivoli Common Reporting v3.1.")

• BhratPatel@IBM
    BhratPatel@IBM
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Adventures In Installation

‏2014-02-28T17:21:01Z  in response to Minyen

Reid,

Sorry to read you are having problems installing the beta. Could you confirm where you got the beta code from? I'm very surprised at your report that the bundled version of Impact is 6.1.1 because the download site has 7.1 on it - I just double checked by downloading it.

Did you get the beta code from the link on the getting the software page in the community wiki? We've recently moved the required JazzSM & WAS parts onto the same download page to avoid having to hunt around for those pieces.

For the purposes of this beta drop JazzSM does not require DB2 nor does it require any of the WAS supplements (only required if deploying a HA instance of JazzSM). The only JazzSM components that need to be installed are:

• Jazz for Service Management extension for IBM Websphere 8.5
    • IBM Dashboard Application Services Hub

JazzSM requires full WAS, as available from the beta download site. It will not work with Liberty Profile.

I've passed your comments about missing permissions and groupmode to one of the developers. My own quick test wasn't able to reproduce the missing execute permissions but there may be something environmental at play.

• Minyen
      Minyen
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-01T00:21:01Z  in response to BhratPatel@IBM

Hi Bhrat!

No worries.  Working through problems aids understanding.

• I'm sorry my notes were too brief and hence misleading.  I did not actually get to installing Impact yet as I got stymied by Jazz.  I listed the limitation as 6.1.1 as I was looking forward and reading the Netcool-Impact_next_README_milestone_2.pdf.  The "System Requirements" section of that file said the requirements were similar to Impact 6.1.1.  Knowing 6.1.1 was limited to RHEL 6.2, I noted the limitation and began tearing down my VM to restart the installation.

So, yes, I did get the software from the link on the wiki.  And, yes, it included the next version of Impact.  I was just noting that I was likely to hit a dead-end as I was working with a RHEL 6.4 VM.

• I'm interested that you say JazzSM does not require DB2.  When the Jazz install hit me expecting WAS to already be installed, I went hunting for Jazz documentation to get the correct install order and may have just hit doc for a different product (e.g. TCR) that said DB2 was a prerequisite to installation.  Of course I will be trying again.  Thanks.

• Regarding missing execute permissions, I simply expanded the beta code zip files using jar (Java ARchive; reads zip files but accepts options like tar) on the RHEL VM.  The jar utility expanded each archive just fine but without execute permissions anywhere.  This might be a result of a different environment setting (umask) than expected.  I will double-check my umask setting in my next environment.

• The groupmode issue revealed itself when I first read that Installation Manager was a prerequisite.  Before expanding any of the packages and seeing the IM was bundled, I also downloaded the utility and installed it.  As a practice, I avoid installing as root and I avoid installing as individual users whenever possible.  Groups are awesome.  So I was very keen to see the group install option listed as being supported and installed the utility accordingly.  When I attempted to install OMNIbus, the scripts failed to check for a groupinstall location and began attempting a new IM install.

Thanks again Bhrat for responding to my note.  I simply wanted there to be a place where the community can see issues others hit and how those problems might be addressed.

• SudhakarChellam
        SudhakarChellam
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-02T16:35:57Z  in response to Minyen

I apologize , for the trouble w.r.t  to to the Redhat version. I will ask our team to update the prereq.

Thanks and Regards

Sudhakar

• Minyen
      Minyen
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-01T22:15:23Z  in response to BhratPatel@IBM

The /usr/bin/jar utility stripped the execute permissions from the files in the zip archive:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21227729

Using /usr/bin/unzip worked just fine.

• Minyen
      Minyen
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-01T22:38:27Z  in response to BhratPatel@IBM

How to do a groupinstall of OMNIbus:

1. install the bundled Installation Manager first and seperately
        • <zip_expansion>/im.linux.x86_64/groupinst
      2. load the OMNIbus repository file manually into the relaunched IM
        • <zip_expansion>/OMNIbusRepository/repository.config

...and all appears good.  It is the top-level install script in the package that misses checking for an existing groupinstall of IM and attempts to install it again.

• BhratPatel@IBM
        BhratPatel@IBM
        18 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-03T13:47:56Z  in response to Minyen

The top level install script was put in place as a bootstrap to avoid users having to install IM as a pre-req. However, as you've found it doesn't detect an existing groupinstall of IM. We'll see what can be done to improve the script.

• Minyen
    Minyen
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-02T00:30:04Z  in response to Minyen
    Adventures, Part II

• Successfully installed IM + Core with group install.  Cleaned up installation files.  Install WAS... FAIL.  References Core's installation files.

• Try again, keeping all install files.  Expand all install media.  Install IM as group.  Add all package repositories.  The following are greyed out:

IBM SmartCloud Analytics Log Analysis

Installation Manager was installed for group use but the selected package does not allow for group installation: IBM SmartCloud Analytics Log Analysis 1.2.0.0. Check for other versions of the package to install or use Installation Manager installed for administrator or non-administrator use.

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install IBM SmartCloud Analytics Log Analysis 1.2.0.0.

Jazz for Service Management extension for IBM WebSphere 8.0

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Jazz for Service Management extension for IBM WebSphere 8.0 1.1.0.1.

Jazz for Service Management extension for IBM WebSphere 8.5

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Jazz for Service Management extension for IBM WebSphere 8.5 1.1.0.1.

Registry Services

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Registry Services 1.1.0.2.

Administration Services

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Administration Services 1.1.0.2.

Reporting Services environment

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Reporting Services environment 3.1.0.2.

Security Services

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Security Services 1.1.0.2.

IBM Dashboard Application Services Hub

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install IBM Dashboard Application Services Hub 3.1.0.2.

Administration Services UI

This Installation Manager is used to install beta packages. An Installation Manager for full packages is required to install Administration Services UI 1.1.0.2.

• BhratPatel@IBM
      BhratPatel@IBM
      18 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-06T14:04:38Z  in response to Minyen

This is something we'll be addressing in the next drop of beta code (current eta: late this month).

As you've already installed the IM in groupmode from the OMNIbus zip, here's the workaround should you wish to proceed with the current drop.

You can edit repository.xml to add the following property to each <offering> block:

<property name='beta.compatible' value='true'/>

Impact has 2 offerings, Impact GUI Server and Impact Server, so edit ~/ImpactRepository/disk1/md/repository.xml to add the property to both offering XML blocks, e.g. after the line:

<property name='offering.SupportsGroupMode' value='true'/>

add:

<property name='beta.compatible' value='true'/>

Edit ~/JazzSMRepository/disk1/md/repository.xml and add the same property to each <offering> to "turn on" the JazzSM offerings.

The SmartCloud Analytics Log Analysis piece is slightly more challenging. We're working with colleagues in that team to clarify the rationale for not supporting group mode install.  

• This reply was deleted by TzePing 2014-03-04T10:58:42Z. Reason for deletion: found a solution