Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-20T15:35:42Z by Jeff.Douglas
dwkey
dwkey
203 Posts

Pinned topic BuildDescriptor lost in RBD v85/9.0

‏2013-11-19T08:22:48Z |

 

Hello,

Recently  there are RBD 8.5 and 9.0 customers experiencing the BuildDescriptor lost problem when trying to debug/generate EGL program. 

To solve this problem, they have to perform project-clean action to bring back the  BuildDescriptor for use. 

Next time when you restart RBD or  Windows,  the information is lost again.  

This problem was  not occurred in RBD 7.5 or 8.0.  

Did someone also experience this problem ?    

 

  • markevans
    markevans
    3034 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

    Re: BuildDescriptor lost in RBD v85/9.0

    ‏2013-11-19T16:14:22Z  

    L.H.,

    This is a problem with timing between some classes when RBD is starting up which causes it to lose the indexes for the build descriptors.   The project clean resets some indexes and thus the build descriptors reappear.

    There have been two fixes for this problem

    PM87924 - This one was shipped in 8.5.1.1 and 9.0.0 and fixed the case that this particular customer reported.

    Then other customers still were getting the issue (again timing based) and we opened the APAR

    PM96083 - This one is available as a fixtest only now as it was done after 8.5.1.1 was shipped in Sept.  It will be included in any upcoming fix packs for 8.5.1, 8.0.1.x, and 9.0.x     There is a fixtest available through IBM support that can be installed on top of 8.5.1.0 If some other level is needed, then that can be requested through IBM support.

    I cannot say when the next fixpacks will be, but as a general rule, we try to ship a fixpack for one of the levels every 3-6 months.

     

  • markevans
    markevans
    3034 Posts

    Re: BuildDescriptor lost in RBD v85/9.0

    ‏2013-11-19T16:14:22Z  

    L.H.,

    This is a problem with timing between some classes when RBD is starting up which causes it to lose the indexes for the build descriptors.   The project clean resets some indexes and thus the build descriptors reappear.

    There have been two fixes for this problem

    PM87924 - This one was shipped in 8.5.1.1 and 9.0.0 and fixed the case that this particular customer reported.

    Then other customers still were getting the issue (again timing based) and we opened the APAR

    PM96083 - This one is available as a fixtest only now as it was done after 8.5.1.1 was shipped in Sept.  It will be included in any upcoming fix packs for 8.5.1, 8.0.1.x, and 9.0.x     There is a fixtest available through IBM support that can be installed on top of 8.5.1.0 If some other level is needed, then that can be requested through IBM support.

    I cannot say when the next fixpacks will be, but as a general rule, we try to ship a fixpack for one of the levels every 3-6 months.

     

  • Jeff.Douglas
    Jeff.Douglas
    241 Posts

    Re: BuildDescriptor lost in RBD v85/9.0

    ‏2013-11-20T15:35:42Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2013-11-19T16:14:22Z

    L.H.,

    This is a problem with timing between some classes when RBD is starting up which causes it to lose the indexes for the build descriptors.   The project clean resets some indexes and thus the build descriptors reappear.

    There have been two fixes for this problem

    PM87924 - This one was shipped in 8.5.1.1 and 9.0.0 and fixed the case that this particular customer reported.

    Then other customers still were getting the issue (again timing based) and we opened the APAR

    PM96083 - This one is available as a fixtest only now as it was done after 8.5.1.1 was shipped in Sept.  It will be included in any upcoming fix packs for 8.5.1, 8.0.1.x, and 9.0.x     There is a fixtest available through IBM support that can be installed on top of 8.5.1.0 If some other level is needed, then that can be requested through IBM support.

    I cannot say when the next fixpacks will be, but as a general rule, we try to ship a fixpack for one of the levels every 3-6 months.

     

    In addition to what Mark has said, I'll add this:

    The problem that PM96083 fixes is, in our use of an external XML parser. This parser required that the access to it be synchronized, meaning that only 1 process at a time could use it (why? I don't know). Since RBD runs under Eclipse, and this is a multi-tasking environment, multiple RBD routines that invoke the XML parser could execute at the same time, which caused a single-thread exception to be thrown by the XML parser. This exception caused the build descriptor to not be loaded, making it lose that fact that it was set. This seemed to be a timing problem causing a random failure that some users noticed. The fix for this APAR makes the access to the XML parser synchronized, so this error cannot occur again. I believe this fix is included in 8016, 8511 and 901.

    I also found that when the build descriptor was "lost", a workspace build would fix it, but this was overkill. The simplest action that works for me, was to simply edit the "lost" build descriptor, make any change (like change option prep from YES to NO and back to YES -- keeping it the same) and saving the descriptor. This causes the XML reparsing to occur and suddenly, any projects that had the build descriptor set would be working correctly.

    As of now, there is still a bug out there that can still cause the build descriptor to go missing, but it only seems to happen if the workspace crashed in the last use. I am continuing to investigate that scenario, but the most frequent reason for losing the build descriptor was resolved by PM96083.

    If you need a fixtest for PM96083, let us know.