Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2014-08-07T05:42:59Z by D.R.Saravanan
JCantu
JCantu
41 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Need Reliable HMC/VIO Command To Display Metrics For All Disks on Managed System

‏2014-08-05T22:01:18Z |

Hi,

I have a dual VIO environment for each managed system.  If I run 'viostat -sys 1 1' on VIO (id=1) and then run the same command on VIO (id=2), I get inconsistent sets (most disks are the same between the two outputs but there are a few missing in both outputs from the other).  So for example, I might see disk570 in the output from VIO (id=1) but not in the output for VIO (id=2) or I may see disk30 in the output from VIO (id=2) but not in the output for VIO (id=1).

Also, if I attempt to run the 'lspv -size' on each VIO, I only get a subset of the disks for the 'viostat' command.

Is there a more reliable way to get a complete listing of all disk sizes and other metrics on my managed system (including vdisks)?

Thanks,
Jonathan

• D.R.Saravanan
    D.R.Saravanan
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Reliable HMC/VIO Command To Display Metrics For All Disks on Managed System

‏2014-08-07T05:42:59Z  in response to JCantu

I would like to answer this question in 2 fold:

1. Running viostat with an interval of 1 second is too granular and there may be inconsistencies in output between 2 VIO Servers. One possible option is to try with a higher sampling interval like 5 or 10 seconds. The viostat also reports only disks that the VIO server can see, if one of the VIO server can't see the disk then it won't be reporting that. 

2. From HMC v810, HMC provides REST APIs to provide performance statistics including Network & Storage IO. Kindly refer the following link to get the API documentation & details of metrics:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/groups/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=0196fd8d-7287-4dff-8526-102b5bcf0df5

The HMC metrics limited to the Disk Adapters and also the sampling interval is fixed to 30s. 

Kindly let me know if you are looking for further details.