Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-07-30T06:14:06Z by GaborMoizes
GaborMoizes
GaborMoizes
22 Posts

Pinned topic Get any type from an array

‏2014-07-29T15:15:06Z |

I have an array that can contain string and int values mixed. There are columns with string values and other columns with int values.

How can I read this array in a loop? I cannot use casting, because I don't know what type to cast. I would like to get every values as string to be able to print them. Can anyone help me? Thanx.

• Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    1986 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Get any type from an array

‏2014-07-29T16:49:30Z  

So first of all, when you read the value from an array, you must know the type. There is no way around that. Anything else will give you nasty crashes. Ok, so far so good. If you know which column in the array has integer values then you need to have two reads:

string value = ""; 

if (isIntegerColumn(column)) {
        int val = (get(arr, row, column) int);
        value = val "";
    } else {
        string val = (get(arr, row, column) string);
        value = val; 
    }

print "String Value: " value "\n"

If you do not have this information about the columns, then you need to alter the way you put values to your array. I would think the easiest thing to do would be to find all places, where you put integers into your array and then change them to put strings in.

int val = ...
    // put (arr, val, i,j)   // instead of this we do
    put (arr, val "", i, j)  // use a string 

This way, you know how to read the elements of the array. Another approach (although much to complicated would be to simply remember the type of each column in a skip list) and use the information to read the right type back.

Regards, Mathias

• Doug.Zawacki
    Doug.Zawacki
    80 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-07-29T19:28:47Z  

You could always store everything as a string and cast to an integer for the values that need it.

Updated on 2014-07-29T19:29:12Z at 2014-07-29T19:29:12Z by Doug.Zawacki
  • Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    1986 Posts

‏2014-07-29T16:49:30Z  

So first of all, when you read the value from an array, you must know the type. There is no way around that. Anything else will give you nasty crashes. Ok, so far so good. If you know which column in the array has integer values then you need to have two reads:

string value = ""; 

if (isIntegerColumn(column)) {
        int val = (get(arr, row, column) int);
        value = val "";
    } else {
        string val = (get(arr, row, column) string);
        value = val; 
    }

print "String Value: " value "\n"

If you do not have this information about the columns, then you need to alter the way you put values to your array. I would think the easiest thing to do would be to find all places, where you put integers into your array and then change them to put strings in.

int val = ...
    // put (arr, val, i,j)   // instead of this we do
    put (arr, val "", i, j)  // use a string 

This way, you know how to read the elements of the array. Another approach (although much to complicated would be to simply remember the type of each column in a skip list) and use the information to read the right type back.

Regards, Mathias

• Doug.Zawacki
    Doug.Zawacki
    80 Posts

‏2014-07-29T19:28:47Z  

You could always store everything as a string and cast to an integer for the values that need it.

Updated on 2014-07-29T19:29:12Z at 2014-07-29T19:29:12Z by Doug.Zawacki
  • GaborMoizes
    GaborMoizes
    22 Posts

‏2014-07-30T06:14:06Z  

Thank you Mathias and Doug, both approach makes sense. I try to figure out which one is better for my case.