• Latest Post - ‏2014-03-31T20:10:36Z by Bzoo
Bzoo
Bzoo
71 Posts

Pinned topic Location Change for test database

‏2014-02-24T15:43:10Z |
Location Change for test database

CQ Windows Client 7.1.2.08

We are planning to change the location of the test  "TST"  database.
Should I change the connection and hence the profile.ini?

Infact,

DBA  will detach and restore the test " TST"  database from "SQLSERVER_OLD"   to  "SQLSERVER_NEW"  along with all of the access.

I see an option Move database in CQ Designer  and I can use it to move it to the new location.

But, then my question is :

Should I change the connection properties using CQ Maintenance tool and the profile.ini 

Please let me know.

Thanks for your help

Regards,
Billz
Updated on 2014-02-24T16:29:45Z at 2014-02-24T16:29:45Z by Bzoo
  • pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    376 Posts

Re: Location Change for test database

‏2014-02-24T18:38:10Z  

Are you going to move user database only or master database as well?

In order to change location of the user database, you need to update user database properties in the ClearQuest designer. No connection update is required.

But, if you would like to move master database as well, you have to update master database location in the maintenance tool (schema repo->Update->Selected connection), then export new profile and import it on all ClearQuest clients (update ClearQuest dbsets). Also, as in the previous scenario, you need to update user database properties in the Designer.

Pavel

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-02-24T21:22:49Z  

Are you going to move user database only or master database as well?

In order to change location of the user database, you need to update user database properties in the ClearQuest designer. No connection update is required.

But, if you would like to move master database as well, you have to update master database location in the maintenance tool (schema repo->Update->Selected connection), then export new profile and import it on all ClearQuest clients (update ClearQuest dbsets). Also, as in the previous scenario, you need to update user database properties in the Designer.

Pavel

Hi  Pavel:

Thanks for your quick response.

We are planning to move only the user database ( only the test database).

So, just update the user database properties in the CQ Designer for the test database.

No need to change the connection or profile. Got it.

Thanks again

Bzoo

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2014-02-25T03:43:20Z  

My 2 cents-

"DBA  will detach and restore the test " TST"  database from "SQLSERVER_OLD"   to  "SQLSERVER_NEW"  along with all of the access."

Instead of DBA restoring it to the new server, I think first you should try moving it through ClearQuest only (through CQ Designer). Once moved, then update the properties (through CQ Designer) also to be on a safer side.

And I think, you should update the connection also (CQ Maintenance tool); since Master repository contains the information about its User Databases. Update the connection and create a new profile.ini file. When you will import this new file; it should show the correct value for your TEST Database.

Thanks.

• pradpara
    pradpara
    5 Posts

‏2014-02-25T05:44:58Z  

Hi Billz,

Ideally you should use the "Move" option from the ClearQuest designer. This is designed exactly for the purpose, "Move" of the databases from one location to another. While moving you specify the new database connection information. ClearQuest will automatically move the database for you and update the new connection details you provided. It is not required for you to manually update the connection settings anywhere after move is done if you are following this procedure.

Thanks

• GaryKunkel
    GaryKunkel
    11 Posts

‏2014-02-26T20:22:42Z  
    • pradpara
    • ‏2014-02-25T05:44:58Z

Hi Billz,

Ideally you should use the "Move" option from the ClearQuest designer. This is designed exactly for the purpose, "Move" of the databases from one location to another. While moving you specify the new database connection information. ClearQuest will automatically move the database for you and update the new connection details you provided. It is not required for you to manually update the connection settings anywhere after move is done if you are following this procedure.

Thanks

I agree. This worked for my team when we went through a major hardware migration.

• Bzoo
    Bzoo
    71 Posts

‏2014-03-31T20:10:36Z  
    • Bzoo
    • ‏2014-02-24T21:22:49Z

Hi  Pavel:

Thanks for your quick response.

We are planning to move only the user database ( only the test database).

So, just update the user database properties in the CQ Designer for the test database.

No need to change the connection or profile. Got it.

Thanks again

Bzoo

Hi Pavel:

Your method worked for moving the  test database to a new server.
    I just changed  the location in the CQ Designer.
    The test databse  was working well so far for a month.

However, When I modifed  the schema today and tried to test 
    my code using the test database, it complains that
    the test database was not found.
    The following is the exact error message.

-------------------------------
    Upgrading Test Database MYTST failed because of an exception.
    Caught a CQException at the JNI Boundary:
    \bugbert.src\cqobjectmodel\cqdatabase.cpp: line 640-CRMMD1230E An error was detected in the middle of upgrading
     database "MYTST" to schema "CAT01" version 42: CRMMD1284E Unable to logon to the SQL_SERVER database "AC2CAT02".
    The vendor error message was:

CRMDB0000E SQLDriverConnect: RETCODE=-1, State=37000, Native Error=4060
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database "AC2CAT02" requested by the login. The login failed.
    -------------------------------
    I am not sure how to handle this.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Bzoo