Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-27T20:05:27Z by PeteHelgren
PeteHelgren
PeteHelgren
3 Posts

Pinned topic Replacing 39Y9193 with 43W3630

‏2014-05-12T19:09:28Z |

I have a BCS Model 7779 that I originally had only a JS12 blade in it.  There was a single storage module and all 6 drives were assigned to the JS12.  The JS12 has two IBM i partitions and a Linux partition running on VIOS.   I'd like to replace the 39Y9193 with a 43W3630.  I'd also like to add another storage module and 6 drives.  I currently have an HS22 and an HS21 in the chassis but they only have the local drives in them and I'd like to connect the HS blades to the additional storage.  Those blades also have SAS Expansion cards in them.

The question is: If I add the drives and replace the SAS Connectivity Module with the SAS RAID Module, can I retain the configuration I have for blade 1 (the JS12) and create a single raided volume using the remaining 6 drives in the new storage module?  Can I do this without having to save and restore the VM's I have running on the JS12?  I'd like to disrupt as little of the config as possible.  If I can swap the SAS modules and then assign the 6 drives in storage module 1 back to the JS12 and still have it work, that would make for the easiest transition.

Am I on the right track or will I need to rebuild the storage and re-install the OS'es after swapping the SAS modules?

Thanks

• gez
    gez
    275 Posts

Re: Replacing 39Y9193 with 43W3630

‏2014-05-22T19:48:48Z  

You would need to rebuild everything on the drives in the storage modules.  Data on any local hard drives in the blades would be unaffected.

• PeteHelgren
    PeteHelgren
    3 Posts

Re: Replacing 39Y9193 with 43W3630

‏2014-05-27T20:05:27Z  
    • gez
    • ‏2014-05-22T19:48:48Z

You would need to rebuild everything on the drives in the storage modules.  Data on any local hard drives in the blades would be unaffected.

Thanks...that is pretty much where I ended up.  I am a little uncertain about how to get full image backup of VIOS and the Linux partition that is on the current SM.  I easily backed up the IBM i partitions but I don't see an option on VIOS where I could just back up all the raw storage and then restore it after changing the storage configuration.

So my plan is to pull the SAS Connectivity module and the Storage module, replace the SAS module with the RAID module and carve up the SM with the uninitialized drives and then re-install VIOS, recreate the partitions, and then restore the partitions.  Pretty invasive but if it all works and I have an operational system, I can then add the other Storage module back in and re-purpose it as additional storage.  If things go casters up I can at least put the old Storage module and SAS Connectivity module back in and be no worse off (theoretically).