Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-01T15:19:31Z by pelderon
PavankumarM
PavankumarM
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Difference in FLoating point operations between Enterprise PL1 , IBM PL1 for AIX , Open PLI

‏2012-04-14T17:54:10Z |
 One of our Customers is running Business Logic in Enterprise PL1 for zOS  , IBM PL1 for AIX , Open PL1 on Windows . Customer is looking at consolidating all Business Logic in IBM PL1 for AIX . Towards this wanted to understand a) Differences in   FLoating Point operations between the three PL1 implementation b) Differences in Levels of Precision provided by the three PL1 Implemntation .   In General any documentation on comparisons between the implementations (atleast  zOS , AIX) would be usefull in highlighting the risks to the customer
Updated on 2012-05-01T15:19:31Z at 2012-05-01T15:19:31Z by pelderon
  • pelderon
    pelderon
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Difference in FLoating point operations between Enterprise PL1 , IBM PL1 for AIX , Open PLI

‏2012-04-16T20:26:16Z  in response to PavankumarM
    PL/I on Z/OS supports hexadecimal float, IEEE float binary, and IEEE float decimal. However, PL/I for MVS and earlier PL/I compilers supported only hexadecimal float, and hence almost all float data used by z/OS PL/I programs is in hexadecimal format. PL/I on AIX supports IEEE float binary. These 2 formats all have a short, long and extended format, but the numbers have different values for the exponent ranges supported and for the values held in the mantissa. There are more details in the Language Reference Manual.
    • PavankumarM
      PavankumarM
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Difference in FLoating point operations between Enterprise PL1 , IBM PL1 for AIX , Open PLI

‏2012-04-19T11:41:51Z  in response to pelderon
       Are PL1 Macros supported in IBM PL1 for AIX
      • pelderon
        pelderon
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-19T15:44:37Z  in response to PavankumarM
         yes, the macro facility is identical across PL/I for z/OS. AIX, and Windows
        • PavankumarM
          PavankumarM
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-29T13:59:21Z  in response to pelderon
          Can  IBM PL1 on  AIX emulate HEX FLoat on zOS PL/I.  . Does IBM PL1 on AIX have the same Run Time Library as IBM COBOL on AIX
          • pelderon
            pelderon
            11 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-30T21:12:14Z  in response to PavankumarM
             Yes, IBM PL/I can emulate hex float on AIX, but this will not perform as well as using native float.

And PL/I for AIX has a separate library from COBOL for AIX
            • PavankumarM
              PavankumarM
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T03:26:47Z  in response to pelderon
               Thanks for the clarifications . Currently the Customer uses CMPAT(V1) as the default COmpiler option while compiling Programs on zOS .  Does this indirectly corespond to HEX Float usage

For High precision requirements , precompiler options(LIMITS( FIXEDBIN(31,63),FIXEDDEC(15,31))) is used . Wanted to understand how this improves precission as I understand that Floating Point Binary/ Decimal is not in effect
              • pelderon
                pelderon
                11 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T15:19:31Z  in response to PavankumarM
                 the CMPAT option has nothing to do with float usage in any way

the FIXED BIN and FIXED DEC limits also have nothing to do with float usage. However, they clearly allow for more digits in FIXED computations