2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-24T16:37:17Z by 7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov
7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov
7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Bladecenter S SAS RAID - Unsupported Drive

‏2013-10-24T07:40:46Z |

Hello,

Being very unhappy with IBM 600Gb 15k rpm drives (6 out of 12 replaced during 2 years) I've decided to replace. I was very curious how ibm would handle third-party drives, looked trough all the redbooks, searched all over the internet - didn't found the answer. Asked here on forums - some guy answered that I the same drives as ibm ships would be Ok. Being fan of HGST (not a single failure during last years, using 30-40 drives in backup shelves) I choosed 2Tb SAS HUS723020ALS64 (IBM should support it in latest RAID firmwares). Ordered 6 drives, placed one drive instead of old global spare - got Unsupported Drive alert. Updated controller fw to latest version 1.3.1.010 - the same Unsupported Drive alert, not able to bring drive online and configure.

So guys just to warn you - don't try to fool IBM installing the same drives ordered from local store for 200eur, you forced to buy IBM ones for 500eur each. -(

• Josh_Corder
    Josh_Corder
    94 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Bladecenter S SAS RAID - Unsupported Drive

‏2013-10-24T15:54:47Z  in response to 7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov

Did you attempt to flash the drive firmware?  The unsupported drive is normally because of down rev firmware.  Clearing all alerts and updating the RAID firmware in non-concurrent mode should fix this.  I have used both Seagate and HGST drives bought from 3rd parties as long as the model number of the drive matches what is on the IBM "branded" drives.  

It's the same components without an IBM sticker on it. 

• 7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov
      7UA5_Ivan_Ivanov
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Bladecenter S SAS RAID - Unsupported Drive

‏2013-10-24T16:37:17Z  in response to Josh_Corder

This will be my last resort, i plan to apply non-concurent firmware update on weekend.

But i've got and answer from IBM guy that RSSM verify drives by part number and not by model.