Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-02-26T14:08:11Z by mohanjadhav
bobleah
bobleah
7 Posts

Pinned topic Become a blogger on My developerWorks - it's EASY!

‏2009-12-07T16:32:07Z |
 We welcome all of our members here on My developerWorks to start a developer and IT professional relevant blog! 

Getting started is simple!
  1. Click this link and fill out the request a blog form.
  2. We do a quick review, just to ensure your blog topic is centric to our developer community.
  3. You will get an EMAIL with a link to our private bloggers group, where you create your blog!

My developerWorks: Hosting blogs for developers and IT professionals
developerWorks blogs are part of the broader My developerWorks community.  We are happy to host your developerWorks blog, and will make every effort to be a gracious and courteous host. We ask that you treat IBM and developerWorks, the blog hosts, with courtesy and respect (just as if you were being a good guest at a party or visit with friends or family).  Part of that courtesy is to understand and follow these guidelines.

Additionally, please be sure to read and understand the broader IBM guidelines for blogging and social computing, which can be found here: http://www.ibm.com/blogs/zz/en/guidelines.html

Expectations of the bloggers

The responsibility of the blogger is to keep the blog fresh and engaging and encourage people to come to the developerWorks Web site and learn about things that are important to developers and IT professionals.  Remember that developerWorks is a community of developers and IT professionals, and address that audience and the topics and interests that they care about.  Additionally, be genuine and personal.  Your blog should be in your own unique voice, written in first person style.  Don't turn your blog into a vehicle for blatant advertising and promotion of commercial products for your company or organization. Also, help us maintain usable blogs by doing such things as adhering to accessibility requirements (by for example including alt tags for any images) and preventing and correcting broken links.

Keep your blog fresh

Posting interesting content regularly is way of keeping your blog fresh. Regularly means more than once a month and even better, more than once a week. For best results, you should plan to post more than twice a week to keep your blog alive.Once you reach a total of 100 posts you'll have a cushion if you need to take a little time off to work on your real job, etc. But multiple posts lead to visits. Having posts with varied searchable words will bring visits from the search engines and keep your existing audience engaged. Once your blog is live your name is going to be on it; even if you don't post, someone Googling your name is going to find your blog. Thus, you'll want to continue keeping your blog alive and active.  Please make sure you are committed to this, long-term, before launching a blog that may quickly become the #1 result for your name in the search engines.

Treat your blog as a dialogue
Certainly your blog is all about what you have to say, but it is also about what your audience has to say. If you get a comment, respond. Let the commenter know you appreciate what he/she has to say even if you don't agree with it, or have an answer to the question, etc. This will bring the commenter back and will show the casual visitor that your blog is a lively, discussion-friendly area. If you are going on vacation (after you have that 100 post cushion), let the audience know, or even better, bring in a guest blogger to keep the conversation alive.

Guidelines for your blog
  • Write about what you know, and what you truly care about.  Focus on your passions.  Maintain a personal, first-person voice.
  • Know your audience and talk about the things they want and need to learn about or discuss.  Focus topics that relate specifically to the wants and needs of our community of developers and IT professionals.
  • Don't disclose anything you wouldn't want everyone in the world to know (that is, keep in mind the Business Commitment Guidelines if you are an IBMer and NDAs if you are anyone).
  • Also, please read other blogs about your topic of interest and link when appropriate to other blogs and materials. If you want to quote another blogger or anything you have not written yourself, please be sure to credit the creator.

Know who owns your blog

You are responsible as the author of your blog for all of its contents.  That said, please be aware that content published on our site is available to IBM and IBM developerWorks to use as we see fit. Also be aware that anything published on the Web can live on forever in the public domain.  If you want to reprint your blog, you have reprint rights under the IBM developerWorks standard reprint policy. If you want to know the specifics, please send a note to moc@us.ibm.com requesting a copy of the current reprint policy.

Finally, If you are changing jobs or changing your focus or want to blog on another site, we request that you write -- and leave in place -- a final post stating you are discontinuing the blog, and that you disable the comments.  If you have another blog, you can refer readers there. 
Updated on 2010-02-26T14:08:11Z at 2010-02-26T14:08:11Z by mohanjadhav
  • mohanjadhav
    mohanjadhav
    2 Posts

Re: Become a blogger on My developerWorks - it's EASY!

‏2010-02-26T05:28:22Z  
     Hi,

I desperately want to have a blog of my own in the developerWorks. As of now, I blog regularly at the BlogCentral, but it is internal to IBM and I cannot have a complete and useful dialogue with other wider audience on my technological thoughts.

I have requested for my dW blog a couple of times, but I have not yet received any response from the dW team. Do I need to contact any one for help? Please advise.

Regards,
    Mohan Jadhav.
  • bobleah
    bobleah
    7 Posts

‏2010-02-26T12:24:23Z  
     Hi,

I desperately want to have a blog of my own in the developerWorks. As of now, I blog regularly at the BlogCentral, but it is internal to IBM and I cannot have a complete and useful dialogue with other wider audience on my technological thoughts.

I have requested for my dW blog a couple of times, but I have not yet received any response from the dW team. Do I need to contact any one for help? Please advise.

Regards,
    Mohan Jadhav.
     Hello Mohan,

I have added you to the private dW bloggers group.  From within this group you can create your blog and start blogging.  You should be good to go!  Thanks for blogging on dW!

Regards,
       Bob
  • mohanjadhav
    mohanjadhav
    2 Posts

‏2010-02-26T14:08:11Z  
    • bobleah
    • ‏2010-02-26T12:24:23Z
     Hello Mohan,

I have added you to the private dW bloggers group.  From within this group you can create your blog and start blogging.  You should be good to go!  Thanks for blogging on dW!

Regards,
       Bob
     Thank you very much, Bob! It is a great feeling to see my first entry in my own blog after having waited for months! :)

Regards,
    Mohan.