3 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-18T15:13:42Z by ENO2010
ENO2010
ENO2010
45 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RDz - Pre-processor - refresh COBOL editor

‏2014-01-20T15:22:41Z |

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to refresh the COBOL editor after running the preprocessor. I'm using RDz 8.5.1.3

let me try to describe what I try to do:

(1) I opened in a file "A" for example using the COBOL editor;

(2) I start the preprocessor that runs a REXX program. The REXX program replaces the current file A by a new one.

When this process is done, I expect to have in my COBOL editor the new file but there is no refresh and the editor is still showing the original A file. Why?

how can I solve this issue? May be using an API?

thanks

Eric

• 7902_John_McAvenue
    7902_John_McAvenue
    19 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDz - Pre-processor - refresh COBOL editor

‏2014-01-21T14:30:43Z  in response to ENO2010

Hi Eric

I use v9

the pre-processor script can be triggered on opening a file and saving a file via Preferences (look for Cobol/ Editor/Preprocessor Integration or LPEX Editorl/ System z LPEX Editor/COBOL Parser/ Preprocessor Integration).

As far as what you actually see in the editor - you simply see your original file - what happens is the editor annotates pre-processed statements in a way that you define (somEwhere in preferences) e.g. a vertical black line.

When you do a mouse over on these annotated lines the editor displays the output of the pre-processor. I do remember that at one of the  8.5 versions this mouse over action did not work for me so I wonder if you need to try v9 in order to see the results of the pre-processor running.

Hope that helps a little.

jOHN

Updated on 2014-01-21T14:32:31Z at 2014-01-21T14:32:31Z by 7902_John_McAvenue
    • ENO2010
      ENO2010
      45 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-21T14:47:32Z  in response to 7902_John_McAvenue

Hi John,

I saw the option "run the preprocessor on opening a file" but the problem here is that the file is first opened and then the preprocessor is started.

But in your rexx program, we merged 2 files and replaced the selected one by the result of the merge. The problem is that the editor shows the original content and not the content of the new merged file. there is no refresh option, the only solution that we have at the moment, is to close the file and open it again to display the new content. So I was actually looking after an API that allows us to reload the content or to start the preprocessor.

thanks for your help

Eric

• ENO2010
        ENO2010
        45 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-18T15:13:42Z  in response to ENO2010

hi,

We solved the problem using the menu manager and not the preprocessor

Eric