Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-07T07:16:39Z by praguer
praguer
praguer
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Lost access to pseries

‏2013-04-21T13:09:32Z |

I have a  Server-9115-505 running AIX 5.3 housed remotely and I lost access to it.  My remote access was provided by a one user ssh. When I try to connect, the password is not recognised. When accessing using my passwordless (key based] script, I do get a connection but it then exits on /usr/bin/ksh: Permission denied.

Telnetd is disabled on purpose.

I can provide a -vvv transcript  of ssh session If someone willing to help would want it.

The only other access I have is to the AMS service processor but I do not see any way of accessing the file system. 

This is not an error / it is a result of my uncompleted restore. 

My only alternative, if I do not find help, is to find a dumb terminal and drive to my server location.

Is there another way?

Thank you

• GarlandJoseph
    GarlandJoseph
    104 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Lost access to pseries

‏2013-04-23T15:29:57Z  in response to praguer

Have you partitioned this system? I would guess you don't have an HMC (or do you).  Are you running VIOS (IVM in paritcular) in a partition. Can you ftp to the system?   SSH logins fail, but can you SCP/SFTP.  What do you mean by "restore failed"?

• praguer
      praguer
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-23T17:07:00Z  in response to GarlandJoseph

Thank you for your response.

The system is rootvg only (mirrored to the second drive). I only have the AMS - an IP on a separate ethernet port, connected to the service processor. I am running a vanilla AIX 5.3.

I cannot ftp to the system. I cannot scp or sftp, either.

By failed restore I mean me overwriting the current fs with a copy of a backup file system. You need not tell me it was stupid - I know. 

On the other hand, it is good to know that even with so many open ports, it is impossible to hack in.

• GarlandJoseph
        GarlandJoseph
        104 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-23T21:12:10Z  in response to praguer

What's a port between friends.  There is no "sanctioned other way" for customers to login other than the HMC, IVM, or ASM.  In fact the ASM is really designed not for the end customer, but for IBM Service engineers to provide hardware support. 

You're in for a drive and since you're out there, why not hook up a modem or some other access to the system console port. You'll be glad you did.

• praguer
          praguer
          20 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-23T21:30:19Z  in response to GarlandJoseph

I am not allowed to have a modem.  Part of their service is KVM but they do not know how to do it for p series - I am the only risc among a sea of intel, I am taking the machine home - I have put my stuff on a hosting site and will play with the hardware (it was a gift from my customer a while back).Now I have to get some cheaper electricity :)

Thank you for your help.

Lanny

• flodstrom
            flodstrom
            112 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-06T15:56:34Z  in response to praguer

A bit late, I guess you already went to the machine in person?

Anyway, a few things worth mentioning:

You mentioned it was a vanilla 5.3 install? Vanilla AIX5.3 is really old and might attract hackers, you should really update it or better put a newer AIX on it.

Also, was it a complete unmodified vanilla install? Some file systems like the root and var are tiny on a vanilla AIX and it might be that they filled up to 100% which may be what prevents you from logging in?

If you have access to the ASMI you can also reboot the machine, if you are lucky it might be all that is necessary? Also check the logs while you are in the ASMI, the machine might have other problems?

• praguer
              praguer
              20 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-07T07:16:39Z  in response to flodstrom

Thank you for yor respons. No matter what the reason is, I have not find a way to háck into my own system - which is in reality a good sign.

I would like to upgrade but since I am a retired researcher, I cannot afford the cost of AIX 6.

Lanny