Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-02T10:05:35Z by Mike.Scharnow
burningrose
burningrose
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rational Synergy Backup

‏2013-08-29T05:53:43Z |

Hello,

I am trying to backup my ibm synergy through "ccmdb unpack" command but getting an error.  When i try it for the first time I did it successfully  but now when I am trying to backup again getting an error something like that:

Error reporting cmserver\databases\training

could not open file \\cmserver\databases\training\db\DBLock

I am unable to understand this error. I try to search it over internet  but still no solution yet. 

Can anyone help me out.

Thanks

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
    Mike.Scharnow
    44 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rational Synergy Backup

‏2013-08-29T11:07:22Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

you did not write, which version of Synergy you are using, but as you are using Change 5.3, I assume you use Synergy 7.2.

again: please read http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/synhelp/v7m2r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.synergy.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fs_r_ag_ccmdb_bkup_i.html

You can use "ccmdb pack" to create a backup pack file and you can use "ccmdb unpack" to create a new database from the backup pack file.

You can use "ccmdb backup" to create a Synergy 7.2 compressed backup file and you can use "ccmdb restore" to create a new database from a 7.2 compressed backup file.

You can use "ccmdb delete" to delete a database.

Now for some examples.

Ex 1: Make a backup. Assuming your backup directory is c:\backups.

ccmdb backup \\cmserver\databases\training -to c:\backups

-> this will make a backup file "training.sbk" in the backup directory. Put the content of this directory on tapes, one per day, or somewhere else, so that it is not lost.

Ex 2: something in your database is broken and you want to restore the content.

Step 1: delete the old broken database : 

ccmdb delete \\cmserver\databases\training

Step 2: recreate the database with the content of the backup file

ccmdb restore c:\backups\training.sbk  -to \\cmserver\databases\training 

Ex 3: You are not sure if your backup file contains a problem or not. To check this, you want to create a new database with the content of the backup file

ccmdb restore c:\backups\training.sbk -to \\cmserver\databases\training_from_backup

This will create a new database "training_from_backup". You can point your change installation to this database and check the content.

Hope this helps

Mike

• burningrose
    burningrose
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-30T07:19:05Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Mike

Please see the attached file so that I could able to tell you relevant problem.  One command I used is for backup and other is ccmdb check and having same issues.  We are using synergy 7.2

Also visit the following link

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21325161

As I used ccmdb pack and ccmdb backup both to backup the database.  SO as the above linked document says ,for large database use ccmdb pack to make a backup file instead of ccmdb.  Now what should I do I have also used once to ccmdb backup and that when I try to take backup after 1 week can not do that.

Thanks

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
      Mike.Scharnow
      44 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-31T10:02:34Z  in response to burningrose

Ah, I understand the problem now.

When you stated that you wanted to create a backup using the command "ccmdb unpack", I thought that there was a general misunderstanding.

When Synergy creates a backup or checks a database, it tries to create the file <database>/db/DBLOCK. After the command has finished, the file is deleted again.

Now, the message is that Synergy cannot create this file. You might check whether the file exists after the check. If so, you can safely delete it and try the ccmdb check again.

If it does not exist, there might be some network problem or some problem with access rights.

Which user do you use to start the ccmdb check command? Is this user allowed to create this file? Did anyone change the access rights to the share or to the file system?

You might want to check, whether there are messages in the windows event log (perhaps in the security log) or in the synergy event.log.

Stop Change, shutdown the database ("ccmdb shutdown"), enable it again ("ccmdb unprotect"). Is packing now possible?

If you cannot find the problem, perhaps you should contact IBM Support.

Hope this helps

Mike