Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-01-31T15:04:12Z by Darrel Rader
Holitza
Holitza
7 Posts

Pinned topic What's the biggest barrier to adopting Agile practices?

‏2012-01-20T22:05:30Z |

Updated on 2012-01-31T15:04:12Z at 2012-01-31T15:04:12Z by Darrel Rader
  • ScottAmbler
    ScottAmbler
    24 Posts

Re: What's the biggest barrier to adopting Agile practices?

‏2012-01-26T20:32:58Z  
    There's three huge barriers to successful agile adoption in most organizations:
    1. Culture
    2. Culture
    3. Culture
    I get asked all the time if there's a type of project that you shouldn't apply agile strategies on, and my answer is always the same -- You can always improve upon what you're doing, and agile and lean strategies are often at the top of your options list.  I've seen agile applied successfully in all sectors of the economy, but different team sizes, by team with different levels of distribution, dealing with different complexities, and so on.  It is possible, and you might find the results of the November 2009 Agility at Scale survey to be informative.  BUT, where I have seen agile struggle is when the culture of the team or the organization it is working in is rigid and/or artifact driven.  
  • Darrel Rader
    Darrel Rader
    3 Posts

Re: What's the biggest barrier to adopting Agile practices?

‏2012-01-31T15:04:12Z  
    There's three huge barriers to successful agile adoption in most organizations:
    1. Culture
    2. Culture
    3. Culture
    I get asked all the time if there's a type of project that you shouldn't apply agile strategies on, and my answer is always the same -- You can always improve upon what you're doing, and agile and lean strategies are often at the top of your options list.  I've seen agile applied successfully in all sectors of the economy, but different team sizes, by team with different levels of distribution, dealing with different complexities, and so on.  It is possible, and you might find the results of the November 2009 Agility at Scale survey to be informative.  BUT, where I have seen agile struggle is when the culture of the team or the organization it is working in is rigid and/or artifact driven.  
     Scott, would you agree that many organizations take a very waterfall approach to learning agile?  I just posted this blog entry on agile learning.  Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    Updated on 2012-01-31T15:04:12Z at 2012-01-31T15:04:12Z by Darrel Rader