Topic
  • No replies
lbjerges
lbjerges
35 Posts

Pinned topic FLAGMIG4

‏2014-02-26T12:16:53Z |

Hi all.

I have a question regarding the Enterprise COBOL 4.2 option FLAGMIG4 that is supposed to report things to take care of when upgrading to COBOL 5.1. The reference information I have studied is here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PM85873 and, among other things it states that "Options that are not accepted by Enterprise COBOL V5.1 is PFDSGN".

This is the problem, I am not quite clear on the meaning of this. There is a compiler option NUMPROC that can take the values MIGR, PFD and NOPFD which is the only reference of PFD I have found. When looking in the migration guide and other upgrade presentation material I also find that the compiler option NUMPROC(MIG) is going to go out in V5.1 but this will not be reported by FLAGMIG4. Other options mentioned, E.g. FLAGSAA and RESIDENT in the documentation above will generate proper messages however. My suspicion is that the PFDSGN refers to the pre V3 option that was replaced by the NUMPROC above in V3+ releases (when the MIGR keyword was introduced).

When compiling a source with NUMPRoc(mig) option however I do not get any MIGR warning however. Does anybody have any comments on this, have I completetly misunderstood or done something wrong?

Regards Lars

• Tom.Ross
    Tom.Ross
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: FLAGMIG4

‏2014-03-05T12:08:03Z  

Enterprise COBOL V4 did accept the PFDSGN option with a warning, even though it is an old compiler option,  We changed COBOL V5 to stop being tolerant of PFDSGN.  FLAGMIG4 gives this message for PFDSGN:

IGYSC2259-W   **MIGR** "PFDSGN/NOPFDSGN" option will no longer be accepted in future versions of Enterprise COBOL.

I also agree that we could have flagged NUMPROC(MIG) with FLAGMIG4, even though we give a Warning message for NUMPROC(MIG) in COBOL V5 instead of an Error message.  

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    236 Posts

‏2014-02-26T23:53:55Z  

I think it has to be a documentation error. The only PFDSGN compiler option I can find reference to  in in a Customisation Guide for

COBOL for OS/390 & VM which refers to PFDSGN as being a VS COBOL II compile option. What it has been mistaken for, I have no clue.

• lbjerges
    lbjerges
    35 Posts

‏2014-02-27T05:21:01Z  

I think it has to be a documentation error. The only PFDSGN compiler option I can find reference to  in in a Customisation Guide for

COBOL for OS/390 & VM which refers to PFDSGN as being a VS COBOL II compile option. What it has been mistaken for, I have no clue.

This confirmes my suspicion and seems quite plausible. The FLAGMIG4 is a option only to be used in Enterprise COBOL 4.2.x I think and there there is no PFDSGN option.

The other part however is why FLAGMIG4 fails to report the NUMPROC(MIG) which is somethig I believe it should.

• Tom.Ross
    Tom.Ross
    31 Posts

‏2014-03-05T12:08:03Z  

Enterprise COBOL V4 did accept the PFDSGN option with a warning, even though it is an old compiler option,  We changed COBOL V5 to stop being tolerant of PFDSGN.  FLAGMIG4 gives this message for PFDSGN:

IGYSC2259-W   **MIGR** "PFDSGN/NOPFDSGN" option will no longer be accepted in future versions of Enterprise COBOL.

I also agree that we could have flagged NUMPROC(MIG) with FLAGMIG4, even though we give a Warning message for NUMPROC(MIG) in COBOL V5 instead of an Error message.