ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RedHat failure to boot

‏2011-12-16T15:31:13Z |

We are having an issue with booting our RHEL4 partition on a test Power System

·         Current system

o   9117-MMA (Power6)

o   Disk hosted from an i 6.1 partition LPAR

o   RHEL4 for Power on another LPAR

o   This system is in production and working fine.

·         Test system

o   8202-E4B (Power7)

o   Disk hosted from an i 6.1 LPAR

o   Test partition created for the RHEL LPAR

The NWS was restored to the test system i, the partition gets to the boot loader and states it cannot find /vmlinux

If you hit enter, the system starts to boot, finds the LVM disk volumes, and hangs.

If you type linix and hit enter, the system starts to boot, and then encounters an error and halts.  We can type in zr to reboot at that point.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be would be welcome.
Updated on 2012-01-04T15:54:41Z at 2012-01-04T15:54:41Z by jscheel
  • ranger
    ranger
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RedHat failure to boot

‏2012-01-03T18:18:21Z  in response to tduncan
    To the best of my knowledge, RHEL4 does not support POWER7.   You will need to run RHEL 5.5 or RHEL6.x for POWER7 support.
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RedHat failure to boot

‏2012-01-04T15:54:41Z  in response to tduncan
    Please also note that copying virtual disks from one system to another can confuse the identification of the disks to the Linux OS image.  Somewhere in the RHEL5 timeframe, identification of disks to yaboot transitioned from a location-based scheme that was more conducive to copying than the newer UUID-based structure that will change based on systems.  My vague recollection was that RHEL4 was better than RHEL5 in this scenario.  However, there are experts who can assist with this if needed.

However, ranger is correct in stating that RHEL4 is not officially supported on P7.  It may in-fact work, but most certainly only do so in P6-compatibility mode.  What I do not recall is what "native" processor support RHEL4 actually contained.  If it did not support P6 natively, then it won't run.

How important is the use of RHEL4 versus RHEL5 or 6 in your installation?  RHEL4 does go end-of-support for standard maintenance very shortly.  So, moving forward should be in your near-term plans unless you plan on self-supporting or paying a premium for support.