Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-02-02T13:32:50Z by bobleah
will.smythe
will.smythe
5 Posts

Pinned topic Preserving line breaks in blog entries?

‏2010-12-06T14:36:27Z |
I use the "WYSIWYG" blog editor to create new blog entries, but line breaks are never quite preserved the way I'd expect. For example, if I have 2 paragraphs of text separated by a full, empty line (created by pressing ENTER twice after the first paragraph), both the WYSIWYG editor and Preview mode show the blank line correctly, but the line is not shown when the actual blog entry is viewed (i.e. the 2 paragraphs are right next to each other). The only workaround I've found is to add a space to the front of the empty line.

Having empty white space separating major sections in a blog entry seems like a pretty common thing to do in a blog ... is there a better way to do what I'm trying to do?

Updated on 2011-02-02T13:32:50Z at 2011-02-02T13:32:50Z by bobleah
  • bobleah
    bobleah
    204 Posts

Re: Preserving line breaks in blog entries?

‏2010-12-09T02:56:41Z  
     This is a major problem, especially noticeable in Firefox.  We have reported this issue to Lotus development... and the work around you are using is what I would have recommended.  We have a major update coming in 2011, with our intention to migrate to the Connections v3 offering.  I'm expecting a number of updates to the blogs application.. and expecting to see this fixed.
  • will.smythe
    will.smythe
    5 Posts

‏2010-12-10T16:28:17Z  
    • bobleah
    • ‏2010-12-09T02:56:41Z
     This is a major problem, especially noticeable in Firefox.  We have reported this issue to Lotus development... and the work around you are using is what I would have recommended.  We have a major update coming in 2011, with our intention to migrate to the Connections v3 offering.  I'm expecting a number of updates to the blogs application.. and expecting to see this fixed.
     Thanks for the response.

What's both funny (and painful) is that the Wiki area has almost the opposite problem. I was formatting a relatively simple plain text document using the Wiki editor (in Wiki markup mode) and when I switched to Rich Text view and back, it added a bunch of additional line breaks.

It's pretty bad when the quality of the tools makes you avoid blogging or creating new documents. I sure hope they work out these problems in version 3. The concept of Connections is great, but it's the *little* problems that make people want to give up and find other places to put content.
  • bobleah
    bobleah
    204 Posts

‏2010-12-21T01:35:35Z  
     Thanks for the response.

What's both funny (and painful) is that the Wiki area has almost the opposite problem. I was formatting a relatively simple plain text document using the Wiki editor (in Wiki markup mode) and when I switched to Rich Text view and back, it added a bunch of additional line breaks.

It's pretty bad when the quality of the tools makes you avoid blogging or creating new documents. I sure hope they work out these problems in version 3. The concept of Connections is great, but it's the *little* problems that make people want to give up and find other places to put content.
     We do provide feedback to the Lotus team on regular intervals.  We are starting our deployment plans for v3 at this time, and I can say that the new version is a winner IMO. 
  • TheresaRamsey
    TheresaRamsey
    5 Posts

‏2011-01-05T22:03:33Z  
    • bobleah
    • ‏2010-12-21T01:35:35Z
     We do provide feedback to the Lotus team on regular intervals.  We are starting our deployment plans for v3 at this time, and I can say that the new version is a winner IMO. 
     When do you plan to move to Connections v3? 
  • bobleah
    bobleah
    204 Posts

‏2011-01-12T02:11:39Z  
     When do you plan to move to Connections v3? 
     We are in the planning phase at this time.. but currently have not set a date.
  • will.smythe
    will.smythe
    5 Posts

‏2011-01-12T22:30:09Z  
    • bobleah
    • ‏2011-01-12T02:11:39Z
     We are in the planning phase at this time.. but currently have not set a date.
    The problem with the workaround I suggested originally is that it screws up the formatting in other browsers. The following blog entry was just written in FF:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/3e2b35ae-d3b1-4008-adee-2b31d4be5c92/entry/developing_mobile_apps_with_egl_mobile_web5?lang=en

It looked fine while editing and previewing, but the spacing is gone (when viewed in FF) in the actual post. The spacing is correct in Chrome (yah, yah, Chrome isn't supported) and IE 8. So, the content is getting saved properly, but not displayed properly in FF.

Can the product team provide a better workaround/solution? Would opening a PMR put more attention on this issue?

Thanks,
    Will
  • will.smythe
    will.smythe
    5 Posts

‏2011-01-17T02:02:54Z  
    The problem with the workaround I suggested originally is that it screws up the formatting in other browsers. The following blog entry was just written in FF:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/3e2b35ae-d3b1-4008-adee-2b31d4be5c92/entry/developing_mobile_apps_with_egl_mobile_web5?lang=en

It looked fine while editing and previewing, but the spacing is gone (when viewed in FF) in the actual post. The spacing is correct in Chrome (yah, yah, Chrome isn't supported) and IE 8. So, the content is getting saved properly, but not displayed properly in FF.

Can the product team provide a better workaround/solution? Would opening a PMR put more attention on this issue?

Thanks,
    Will
     I updated our blog's CSS with the following and it resolved the issue in FF:

.entryContentContainer br {
        margin-top: 1em;
  • bobleah
    bobleah
    204 Posts

‏2011-02-02T13:32:50Z  
     I updated our blog's CSS with the following and it resolved the issue in FF:

.entryContentContainer br {
        margin-top: 1em;
     Thanks for the tip Will!