IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections Platform is now in read-only mode and content is only available for viewing. No new wiki pages, posts, or messages may be added. Please see our FAQ for more information. The developerWorks Connections platform will officially shut down on March 31, 2020 and content will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ. (Read in Japanese.)
Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-11-14T14:47:01Z by kennethdarling
kennethdarling
kennethdarling
18 Posts

Pinned topic Disable SYSTEM account?

‏2017-09-21T08:12:02Z |

Hi,

We are considering disabling the default SYSTEM account for security reasons. We are currently protecting the account with a long strong password.

Anyone has experience with this? Is the account used in internal system processes so disabling it will not work or will wreck havoc?

All comments and thoughts are appreciated!

Best regards

Kenneth

• mwheel110
    mwheel110
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Disable SYSTEM account?

‏2017-10-23T15:44:57Z  

Hi Kenneth, I don't think you can 'disable' the system account.  Typically what you have done already is as far as most people go.  I've heard of one company having an executive type in the password and keep the password secret until needed for some justifiable reason. 

Through the application or database you could populate a random number which then no one would know. 

I'd highly recommend taking a copy of your database before you start testing changing the password or anything else down that path.  You could corrupt the database trying to disable the system account.

- Mark

• mwheel110
    mwheel110
    10 Posts

‏2017-10-23T15:44:57Z  

Hi Kenneth, I don't think you can 'disable' the system account.  Typically what you have done already is as far as most people go.  I've heard of one company having an executive type in the password and keep the password secret until needed for some justifiable reason. 

Through the application or database you could populate a random number which then no one would know. 

I'd highly recommend taking a copy of your database before you start testing changing the password or anything else down that path.  You could corrupt the database trying to disable the system account.

- Mark

• kennethdarling
    kennethdarling
    18 Posts

‏2017-11-14T14:47:01Z  
    • mwheel110
    • ‏2017-10-23T15:44:57Z

- Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input. We are currently testing a SQL script to change the SYSTEM user password directly in the database on a frequent basis, with appropriate testing before implementing this in production of course.

Best regards

Kenneth