Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-16T13:57:53Z by GWReeves
GWReeves
GWReeves
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BPM nonlinear events

‏2013-04-16T12:16:59Z |

We are currently using process Server 6.2 but upgrading to BPM 8.0.

I'm not currently looking at the actual implementation but am at the more abstract business flow stage, but the ultimate target for deployment will be BPM.

I have a business process that has a fairly linear 'happy path' but events that could happen at anytime during the process that can mean going back to the beginning or exiting the process completely.

The process can also be initiated automatically via a time event (specifically this will be daily) or by manual request.

This seems like a little BPM and CEP convergence.

At the moment I'm struggling with activity diagrams, state charts and flows and nothing seems quite right. 

Does anyone have advice as to how best to handle this and any examples they could point me at?

Thanks,

Glyn

• dogren@gmail.com
    dogren@gmail.com
    382 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BPM nonlinear events

‏2013-04-16T13:26:25Z  in response to GWReeves

You might find this "Empowering your Ad Hoc Business" red paper helpful. It discusses several of the patterns and techniques for handling ad hoc elements within BPM, which seems very aligned with what you are looking for.

David

P.S.

Personally, I wouldn't call this CEP or a BPM/CEP convergence. This seems like fairly normal event based triggers in a process. (CEP tends to involve stateful analysis of the event stream, especially when complex rules need to be applied to that state.)

• GWReeves
      GWReeves
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BPM nonlinear events

‏2013-04-16T13:57:53Z  in response to dogren@gmail.com

Brilliant. A bit of reading for me to do tonight.

Many thanks,

Glyn