Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-04-07T19:04:51Z by DaveQ
shaunm001
shaunm001
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cant update Integrated Management Module II firmware

‏2014-04-07T17:42:55Z |

I'm using the UpdateXpress System Pack Installer to update the IMM firmware on my model 7915 System X server. Operating Sytem is Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Core.

When I run the command to install the update (ibm_utl_uxspi_9.51_winsrvr_32-64.exe up -l "\\server\share" -m 7915) and it gets to the point where it is ready to install the IMM firmware update, it fails with message "Unable to ping through IMM." It then references a log file, and when I look in this file I see that the address it's trying to ping is "169.254.95.118". I understand why pinging that address would fail because I have set a static IP address on the IMM interface and this is not it.

I am able to remotely ping the static IP that I've set and I'm able to log into the IMM web interface. Everything appears to be working correctly with the IMM, except that this UpdateXpress installer is for some reason not picking up the static address that I've set.

Portion of the log file showing the error message is attached.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Updated on 2014-04-07T17:52:13Z at 2014-04-07T17:52:13Z by shaunm001
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cant update Integrated Management Module II firmware

‏2014-04-07T17:56:06Z  in response to shaunm001

Hi,

The installer won't use the IMM's interface, it will try to contact the card via the USB-LAN interface via the OS. The 169 address is the DHCP address assigned by the OS to the USB-LAN card (you should see it in a list of interfaces). When you run the installer from the OS, it will search for the card via the USB-LAN and if it's blocked it will fail. Do you have any security restrictions on that interface, firewall running on it, etc.?

Since you can login to the card itself, you can always just upload the IMM firmware package (.exe or .bin) to the card directly via it's own Firmware Update function, look on the left about halfway down the menu. Then just give it a path to where the package is and follow the prompts for the upload and update.

• shaunm001
      shaunm001
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-07T18:15:32Z  in response to DaveQ

Thanks, I see where to update the firmware using the web interface, but I would like to figure out how to do it using the UpdateXpress installer.

In Windows, the only interface I see resembling the USB-LAN interface you described is the "IBM USB Remote NDIS Network Device" which is currently set to the static IP that I had assigned to the IMM interface. I thought this was the IMM interface, but maybe not? That would explain why, when I first used Powershell to set the address on this interface, I was not able to ping it. It wasn't until I went into the BIOS under the "Integrated Management Module --> Network Configuration" menu and set my static IP address there, that I was able to ping the IMM and access the web interface.

Interestingly, any IP changes I make to the "IBM USB Remote NDIS Network Device" using Powershell are not reflected in the IMM BIOS settings and vice versa. This would again lead me to believe that I'm working with two different interfaces here.

I don't understand why the USB-LAN interface would not be able to obtain an IP address from DHCP. Any way I can set it to a static address?

Sorry, I'm coming from the Dell world and this is my first experience with IBM in many years.

Updated on 2014-04-07T18:16:26Z at 2014-04-07T18:16:26Z by shaunm001
      • DaveQ
        DaveQ
        132 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-07T18:27:42Z  in response to shaunm001

That is the interface I was mentioning, I just chose to abbreviate its full name ;).

The USB-LAN interface is just a passthrough; it's not an actual interface and not the address you assigned to the card's own physical interface. You'll need to remove the static IP you assigned and set it back to DHCP, then possibly disable it. Typically the installer will find the interface, enable it as needed, then an IP will get assigned automatically. Or, you could leave it enabled. I've worked with both scenarios, depends on other things in an environment that might complain about an interface going up and down, like a monitoring suite thinking an interface is faulty, etc.

You are correct that you are working with two different interfaces: the physical one for the card, which you assign an IP via BIOS, and the USB-LAN interface which is just a passthrough via the OS and you never assign it an IP.

Try removing the address from the USB-LAN interface, set it to DHCP and then disable it. The installer should try to being it up when its needed, based on its own sensing via IPMI when it queries the OS for known hardware.

Working with a number of servers remotely it is definitely easier to go the route you're wanting to, but when push comes to shove there is always the card's own update function.

• shaunm001
          shaunm001
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-07T18:51:59Z  in response to DaveQ

You're the man! I set the interface back to DHCP, Windows assigned it another 169.xxx address, I tried the firmware update again and it was successful. I guess I was confused by the IMM being a separate interface and not actually viewable from within Windows.

Thanks again!

• DaveQ
            DaveQ
            132 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-07T19:04:51Z  in response to shaunm001

Glad it's working for you now!

If you ever want to modify card settings via the OS (command-line), look into using the Advanced Settings Utility, version will be particular to your card/model server in the support download section for it. You can manipulate the card based on variables, such as setting its physical interface IP, subnet, gateway, DNS, login profiles, rebooting the card, etc., pretty much anything relevant to IMM operations. I do this sometimes with batch files for updating login profiles against a group of servers, psexec'ing the ASU command-line with the relevant variables, and setting the card name against the OS name, etc., just as an example. The ASU has help built in for the relevant commands it can issue, to get you started.