Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-13T12:50:34Z by clk4suport
JianliR
JianliR
2 Posts

Pinned topic Computer automatically shutdown while running ODME app in ODM Planner

‏2013-10-31T18:02:32Z |

Hi, All:

Right now I'm working on an optimization project using ODME 3.7. I've reviewed the model a couple of times to make sure it's correct. However, when I was trying to run the application from ODME, I got error message saying "event failed: OPL IDE Event Dispatcher" and in the Details "event failed java.lang.NullPointerException". The optimization app is still running in Planner showing me the progress including the combined objective as well as a progress curve - everything looks it's good until the computer suddenly shuts down.

I tried to start the app using Planner with -debug option and redirect the output to a txt file (as too much output scrolling very quickly) but ended up empty file. I wonder anybody here has encountered the same problem before and even better what's the cause?

Thanks in advance!

• Juanmagl
    Juanmagl
    1 Post

Re: Computer automatically shutdown while running ODME app in ODM Planner

‏2013-11-04T11:15:02Z  

Hi.

By your description, it looks like a hardware or drivers failure. I've experienced similar behaviors in the past (freezes mostly related to buggy drivers, while shutdowns mostly related to faulty memory/CPU/static/refrigeration or even bad electrical isolation), and it was normally not related to any specific software.

I suggest you perform a thorough hardware check (e.g.: memtest), and also some analysis for errors with a tool like CCleaner. If after that everything is clear, my next move would be to update drivers for video, sound, lan, etc, and reinstall ODME Planner (and dependencies: Microsoft runtime, as indicated at install time).

Good luck,

Juanma.

• AlexFleischer
    AlexFleischer
    44 Posts

‏2013-11-04T11:16:17Z  

Hi,

can you open a PMR about this ?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21507639

reggards

• Michel Eisenmann
    Michel Eisenmann
    15 Posts

‏2013-11-04T11:54:00Z  

hi,

We've had similar reports recently from a customer (on 3.7.0.1), it turned out that the OPL code was trying to do a modulo 0, which just killed the whole process (but apparently with no core dump).
    Switching to 3.7.0.2 (with a newer OPL version) allowed to see the error reported by OPL in its log instead of killing itself.

There is no garantee that this is the case you are facing but moving to the latest fixpack might be a way to get more information out of the issue...

It should not prevent you from opening a PMR...

Hope this helps

Regards

Michel

• JianliR
    JianliR
    2 Posts

‏2013-11-07T15:38:11Z  

Thank you all for your help. I'll do all and keep you updated on this!

Regards

Jianli

• clk4suport
    clk4suport
    2 Posts

‏2013-12-13T12:50:34Z  

Hi there,

i will try to find out some info regarding your concern.

Thank You.