• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-03T01:11:40Z by madmanu
madmanu
madmanu
25 Posts

Pinned topic Using BigInsights Developer toolkit

‏2013-09-30T18:40:11Z |

Guys,

IBM provides a developer toolkit that can be downloaded and used for development of BI based applications. It is quite comprehensive and very useful and productive. Now, is there a separate licensing for using this toolkit ? Can I download the toolkit , configure my eclipse and use it without paying any charges - irrespective of my company owning a license to Enterprise edition.

Or is it free to use (no clauses attached). Have you come across this case in any of your projects / customers. Please do advice.

Thanks

Mano.

• tfriedr
    tfriedr
    29 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Using BigInsights Developer toolkit

‏2013-09-30T23:48:16Z  
    • madmanu
    • ‏2013-09-30T23:15:38Z

Thanks Thomas. Appreciate the quick response.

Would it be logical/acceptable under the licensing terms for using the Toolkit downloaded from Quick Start edition for supporting development. I was trying to build a local environment for testing before I deploy the code to the cluster. Will I require a license to use the toolkit and the Quick start edition. I understand it is "free" , but wanted to understand if there were clauses attached. 

Thanks.

Mano..

The limitation of the Quick Start edition is that it can only be used in non-production environments. This is what the license specifies:

Non-Production Limitation

The Program can only be deployed as part of the Licensee's internal development and test environment for internal non-production activities, including but not limited to testing, performance tuning, fault diagnosis, internal benchmarking, staging, quality assurance activity and/or developing internally used additions or extensions to the Program using published application programming interfaces. Licensee is not authorized to use any part of the Program for any other purposes without acquiring the appropriate production entitlements.

• madmanu
    madmanu
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-03T01:11:40Z  
    • tfriedr
    • ‏2013-09-30T23:48:16Z

The limitation of the Quick Start edition is that it can only be used in non-production environments. This is what the license specifies:

The Program can only be deployed as part of the Licensee's internal development and test environment for internal non-production activities, including but not limited to testing, performance tuning, fault diagnosis, internal benchmarking, staging, quality assurance activity and/or developing internally used additions or extensions to the Program using published application programming interfaces. Licensee is not authorized to use any part of the Program for any other purposes without acquiring the appropriate production entitlements.

thanks a lot...got it.

Mano.

• tfriedr
    tfriedr
    29 Posts

‏2013-09-30T23:00:03Z  

Hi Mano,

The BigInsights tools for Eclipse are part of the BigInsights Enterprise or Quick Start edition. The tooling is part of the product and covered under the license of the BigInsights edition that you are using. It can't be used/sold separately.
    As outlined here http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights/quick-start/ the BigInsights Quick Start edition is free for non-production environments.

• madmanu
    madmanu
    25 Posts

‏2013-09-30T23:15:38Z  
    • tfriedr
    • ‏2013-09-30T23:00:03Z

Hi Mano,

The BigInsights tools for Eclipse are part of the BigInsights Enterprise or Quick Start edition. The tooling is part of the product and covered under the license of the BigInsights edition that you are using. It can't be used/sold separately.
    As outlined here http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/biginsights/quick-start/ the BigInsights Quick Start edition is free for non-production environments.

Would it be logical/acceptable under the licensing terms for using the Toolkit downloaded from Quick Start edition for supporting development. I was trying to build a local environment for testing before I deploy the code to the cluster. Will I require a license to use the toolkit and the Quick start edition. I understand it is "free" , but wanted to understand if there were clauses attached. 

Thanks.

Mano..

• tfriedr
    tfriedr
    29 Posts

‏2013-09-30T23:48:16Z  
    • madmanu
    • ‏2013-09-30T23:15:38Z

Thanks.

Mano..

• madmanu
    madmanu
    25 Posts

‏2013-10-03T01:11:40Z  
    • tfriedr
    • ‏2013-09-30T23:48:16Z

thanks a lot...got it.

Mano.