IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-19T17:17:07Z by Pathogen67
Pathogen67
Pathogen67
27 Posts

Pinned topic WAS CE & HATS

‏2013-04-16T03:38:32Z |

Hi,

Quick question- Will HATS (especially RESTful web services) run on WAS Community Edition?

Thanks!

• tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS CE & HATS

‏2013-04-19T16:22:33Z  

Hi Tim,

Yes I was just asking if it would run on WAS CE. I've made some HATS Restful web services that run on WAS 8.5 so I was wondering if I could deploy the .ear to WAS CE as-is and they work. Seems like they would from what you write. Thanks!

OK, no that is not possible.  If you created the project targeted for WAS then there is no way it will run on WAS CE.  If you created the project targeted for Geronimo then yes you can deploy it to WAS CE.  Geronimo uses the Apache Axis runtime, which is what you would need.  If you created the web services targeted for WAS then it uses the WAS API.

• Pathogen67
    Pathogen67
    27 Posts

‏2013-04-17T21:00:17Z  

Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks very much!

• tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts

‏2013-04-19T16:09:33Z  

You need to read up on creating RESTful services for Geronimo:

https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/developing-a-simple-restful-service.html

• tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts

‏2013-04-19T16:11:10Z  

Sorry, if you are only asking if HATS would run on WAS CE, technically yes it should work since WAS CE runs Geronimo.

• Pathogen67
    Pathogen67
    27 Posts

‏2013-04-19T16:17:28Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2013-04-19T16:11:10Z

Sorry, if you are only asking if HATS would run on WAS CE, technically yes it should work since WAS CE runs Geronimo.

Hi Tim,

Yes I was just asking if it would run on WAS CE. I've made some HATS Restful web services that run on WAS 8.5 so I was wondering if I could deploy the .ear to WAS CE as-is and they work. Seems like they would from what you write. Thanks!

• tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts

‏2013-04-19T16:22:33Z  

Hi Tim,

OK, no that is not possible.  If you created the project targeted for WAS then there is no way it will run on WAS CE.  If you created the project targeted for Geronimo then yes you can deploy it to WAS CE.  Geronimo uses the Apache Axis runtime, which is what you would need.  If you created the web services targeted for WAS then it uses the WAS API.

• Pathogen67
    Pathogen67
    27 Posts

‏2013-04-19T17:17:07Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2013-04-19T16:22:33Z

Ah,

Ok, for some reason I thought regular WAS was based on Geronimo as well. Thanks for setting me straight!