Need help installing the free version of db2 on my windows 8.1 laptop. The install seems to complete fine but when I run the db2val command I get the following message. It appears to be permissions/security related but I am neither a windows sysadmin or a db2 dba so I need help with the specific commands to run. I am logged in to windows using my windows userid and password which has administrator rights. Any help would be appreciated.
DBI1379I The db2val command is running. This can take several minutes.
-------- Installation file validation for the DB2 copy "DB2COPY1" starts --------
Task 1 : Validating installation file sets
Task 1-1 : Validating DB2 Express-C
Status 1-1 : Success
Status 1 : Success
DBI1333I Installation file validation for the DB2 copy DB2COPY1
-------- Installation file validation for the DB2 copy "DB2COPY1" ends --------
-------- Instance validation for "DB2" starts --------
Task 2 : Validating the default instance setting
Status 2 : Success
Task 3 : Validating SYSADM authority
Status 3 : Failure
DBI1338E The validation of instance DB2 failed. Reason
1. The default instance is not set.
2. Some files in the instance directory are damaged. The symbolic links
of the files are not pointing to the current DB2 copy installation
path, and the file permission and ownership might have been changed.
3. The DB2 Extended Security setup does not allow the current user to
start an instance. If Extended Security is enabled, the user needs to
be in the DB2ADMNS group.
4. To start the instance, read permission is required to the
5. The appropriate authority is required to validate this instance.
6. The partitioned database environment setting is not correct.
7. The instance failed to start because of system errors.
8. An unexpected internal error occurred.
1. Set the DB2INSTDEF profile registry variable to an instance in the
2. Run the db2iupdt or db2nrupdt command with the -k option for the
3. Add the current user to the DB2ADMNS group and rerun the command.
4. Ensure you have read permission to the /etc/services file.
5. For authorization details, see the db2val command in the DB2
Information Center. Then log on as a user with the appropriate
authority, and retry the command.
6. Check the partitioned database environment validation log file for
7. Check the log file for details.
8. Rerun the db2val command. If this error persists, contact your IBM
-------- Instance validation for "DB2" ends --------
DBI1344E The validation tasks of the db2val command failed. For
details, see the log file C:\Users\John\DOCUME~1\DB2LOG\db2val-Mon Feb 17 07_18_11 2014.log.