• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-16T22:34:50Z by tresnta.sis
Vilca
Vilca
3 Posts

Pinned topic HS22 and HS21 poor disk performance

‏2013-08-29T06:52:50Z |

Hi,

I have few HS21 and HS22 and all of it have same "problem". Internal disks in blades are so slow. I know it shouldn't be use for production but I wanna be sure that my performance results are same as all other have. All blades have MR10 (LSI 1064) controller and give me same result. Read speed is quite OK, but write speed is terrible. Just for test I bought two entry SSD from IBM and the speed is same. In some tests the speed of Blades is 10 times worst than speed of SSD in my laptop. It's IBM fault? LSI fault? I hope it's my fault and I missed something. Firmwares and drivers are actual. In attachments you can find results from blades with SAS, SSD and from my laptop.

Have you same experiences with HS21 and HS22 with this controller? Can you reveal me the secret switch (settings) which will make at least "laptop" from our expensive blades? :-D

Maybe it's not fault but feature.....But I think the performance of this servers class should be muc higher. THank you for any advice or confirmation that this behavior is "normal". Ouch, it's not normal anyway.

Thank you

• Josh_Corder
    Josh_Corder
    94 Posts

Re: HS22 and HS21 poor disk performance

‏2013-08-29T14:05:41Z  

What type of chassis are these in?  What type of IO expansion card (fibre or SAS) do you have installed, if any.  When did this start?  What is the FRU of the drive in question?  What OS are you running?  Please provide some more information and I'll try to help you out.

• Vilca
    Vilca
    3 Posts

‏2013-08-29T16:08:22Z  

What type of chassis are these in?  What type of IO expansion card (fibre or SAS) do you have installed, if any.  When did this start?  What is the FRU of the drive in question?  What OS are you running?  Please provide some more information and I'll try to help you out.

Sorry Josh. I spent with this more than half a year so I thought it's a well known problem. I found it on VMware, MS, Citrix and many other forums.

The chassis is Bladecenter E - 8677ERG

HS21 - 8853

HS22 - 7870

All blades are have SAS connectivity module - HS21 have 39Y9 and HS22 have 81Y8

I think the speed on SAS is not normal too. Posted results and my tests in last months pointing on the controller. OS is Windows 2008 for HS21, Windows 2012 for HS22 and W7 for laptop.

SSD in HS22 - 90Y8643

It's not started, this is from beginning. External HDD in DS storage, which is connect thru SAS, looks fine.

Thank you Josh 

• Vilca
    Vilca
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-22T07:34:00Z  

Still no one? As I know this's a problem of many blades configurations and no one wanna to solve it? Thanx for any help.

• tresnta.sis
    tresnta.sis
    1 Post

‏2014-01-16T22:34:50Z  

Try to disable with msm writethough and enable write cache this works with hs22 and win 2003