Topic
  • No replies
BillWoodger
BillWoodger
127 Posts

Pinned topic Site is messed up

‏2013-04-15T18:25:59Z |

Well, looking at that top topic, there are about six different contributors all now labelled "sbhupa".

All the formatted code is now a mess.

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    127 Posts

Re: Site is messed up

‏2013-04-16T09:10:21Z  

Is no-one looking to see how the new format is "welcomed" by the users?

If I want to show some code or something, how do I do that now? Mess around with the fonts and stuff, rather than just using "tags"?

Talking of tags, with not many more than 300 questions in total, what is "tagging" going to provide to us?

To have the tags, we now have lots of "whitespace" at the left, requiring "scrolling" to read something in full.

We've also lost the "number of views", so I can't even tell whether I'm perhaps the only one who is here.

EDIT:

Well, at least we can edit now.

I notice that even Tom Ross is now sbhupa

Updated on 2013-04-16T09:14:09Z at 2013-04-16T09:14:09Z by BillWoodger
  • brataj
    brataj
    40 Posts

‏2013-04-16T15:12:37Z  

If I want to show some code or something, how do I do that now? Mess around with the fonts and stuff, rather than just using "tags"?

Talking of tags, with not many more than 300 questions in total, what is "tagging" going to provide to us?

To have the tags, we now have lots of "whitespace" at the left, requiring "scrolling" to read something in full.

We've also lost the "number of views", so I can't even tell whether I'm perhaps the only one who is here.

EDIT:

BillWoodger, you are not alone...

I'm wavering between Contact Us and Report Abuse at this point. Looks like I've not been taken over by sbhupa but I can't find my name in at least one forum where I know I've submitted comments.

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    127 Posts

‏2013-04-16T15:28:10Z  
    • brataj
    • ‏2013-04-16T15:12:37Z

BillWoodger, you are not alone...

I'm wavering between Contact Us and Report Abuse at this point. Looks like I've not been taken over by sbhupa but I can't find my name in at least one forum where I know I've submitted comments.

Well, after you mentioned it, I couldn't resist reporting myself for abuse, and contacting awentley@us.ibm.com.

• BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    127 Posts

‏2013-04-16T16:55:32Z  

I got a reply.

Sorry for the Inconvenience. As you must have figured out we moved all the Forums from Jive engine to IBM Connections(IC) engine. Search indexes are getting build still and an issue mapping a Jive User to an equivalent IC user for some of the users whom we could not programmatically map them are defaulted to one ID. So if you are one among them please let us know your user ID and we can resolve it and map your contributions in the new system.

Incase if you have any other concerns please feel free to let us know so that we will try our best to make your experience fruitful with developerWorks. Thanks!!!

Thanks & Regards

Satish

sbhupa@us.ibm.com

I'll let one of the break it to Tom Ross.

• Dwayne_M
    Dwayne_M
    8 Posts

‏2013-05-04T11:31:11Z  

EDIT:

Yes, the migration from the old Forum format (non-IBM product Jive) to the IBM Connections Forum format has gone poorly. A case of those working on the Forum migration not talking to those who own the Cafes.

Forum should have been migrated to a Forum that is part of the "COBOL Cafe" Community, but it is currently on its own and not connected to the COBOL Cafe except that the links pointing to the old Jive Forums were redirected to this Forum. (It should appear in the left-and frame of the COBOL Cafe along with Overview, Recent Updates, Members, Blog, Wiki and Bookmarks.

Yes, the migration of code examples was a disaster - I am now working with the team responsible for the migration to see what can be done. Both of the code examples below look okay? I just chose "Courier New" to have a monospaced font. The second is  just done as a block quote. Alternatively, one could attach the source code example as a file to the forum append.

You'll also note that the "orphaned" appends have been changed by being created by sbhupa to being owned by SystemAdmin so it looks (a little) less like the site has been hacked.

* Recursive Program - Factorials

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

Program-Id. factorial.

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.

DATA DIVISION.

Working-Storage Section.

01 numb pic 9(4) value 5.

01 fact pic 9(8) value 0.

Local-Storage Section.

01 num pic 9(4).

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

move numb to num.

if numb = 0

move 1 to fact

else

subtract 1 from numb

call "factorial"

multiply num by fact

end-if.

display num " ! = " fact.

goback.

End Program factorial.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
           Program-Id. factorial.
           ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
           DATA DIVISION.
           Working-Storage Section.
           Local-Storage Section.
           01 num pic 9(4).
           PROCEDURE DIVISION.
               move numb to num.
               if numb = 0
                  move 1 to fact
               else
                  subtract 1 from numb
                  call "factorial"
                  multiply num by fact
               end-if.
               goback.
           End Program factorial.

Updated on 2013-05-04T11:45:41Z at 2013-05-04T11:45:41Z by Dwayne_M
  • BillWoodger
    BillWoodger
    127 Posts

‏2013-05-07T09:04:54Z  
    • Dwayne_M
    • ‏2013-05-04T11:31:11Z

Yes, the migration from the old Forum format (non-IBM product Jive) to the IBM Connections Forum format has gone poorly. A case of those working on the Forum migration not talking to those who own the Cafes.

Forum should have been migrated to a Forum that is part of the "COBOL Cafe" Community, but it is currently on its own and not connected to the COBOL Cafe except that the links pointing to the old Jive Forums were redirected to this Forum. (It should appear in the left-and frame of the COBOL Cafe along with Overview, Recent Updates, Members, Blog, Wiki and Bookmarks.

Yes, the migration of code examples was a disaster - I am now working with the team responsible for the migration to see what can be done. Both of the code examples below look okay? I just chose "Courier New" to have a monospaced font. The second is  just done as a block quote. Alternatively, one could attach the source code example as a file to the forum append.

You'll also note that the "orphaned" appends have been changed by being created by sbhupa to being owned by SystemAdmin so it looks (a little) less like the site has been hacked.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

Program-Id. factorial.

ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.

DATA DIVISION.

Working-Storage Section.

Local-Storage Section.

01 num pic 9(4).

PROCEDURE DIVISION.

move numb to num.

if numb = 0

move 1 to fact

else

subtract 1 from numb

call "factorial"

multiply num by fact

end-if.

goback.

End Program factorial.

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
           Program-Id. factorial.
           ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
           DATA DIVISION.
           Working-Storage Section.
           Local-Storage Section.
           01 num pic 9(4).
           PROCEDURE DIVISION.
               move numb to num.
               if numb = 0
                  move 1 to fact
               else
                  subtract 1 from numb
                  call "factorial"
                  multiply num by fact
               end-if.
               goback.
           End Program factorial.

Thanks Dwayne,  Courier and no space compression is fine with me.

When "converting", you'll probably find in my code, as I couldn't get the first line to "work" properly, that there is a period/full-stop as the first character of each code block (followed by blanks, probably). These can be ignored :-)

Although we might be late for "suggestions", I don't particluraly like the "indenting" to show what is a reply to what. I'm typing this, and the left 1/3 of my screen is "whitespace". I don't know if you can "turn it off", but I think we're all well-capable of working out connections or including quotes if we think it won't be clear.

Thanks again.