• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-31T18:21:14Z by markevans
YJG9_jose_roberto_silva
62 Posts

Pinned topic Migration for EGL

‏2014-01-31T17:59:28Z |

Markevans;
Good afternoon.
I am following the instructions you told me is to search in Migration Guide VisualAge for EGL of how to implement Phase 2 and 3.
But I'm picking up a bit.
I created a project and added a package inside my RDB.
But I'm getting a message that I must specify a valid file Vgmig.
I do not understand the message because my application A001's in my bank VGMIG data.
Have any reason for this??
The Scren 10:11 annexed portrays what I'm saying.
Do you notice something wrong??
hug

Attachments

• markevans
    markevans
    2885 Posts

Re: Migration for EGL

‏2014-01-31T18:21:14Z  

Hi,

The vgmig file and the VGMIG database are two different things.

As you know, the VGMIG database holds the migration data (VAGen source and other info)

The vgmig file holds the information that is specified in these dialogs.     Maybe it would have been good to give them different names when we designed the tool, but that is not something we can change now.

Note that one of the values to specify is the database name which is defined as jdbc:db2:vgmig    <--- this is what tells the tools to use the VGMIG database

In your case, you do not have an existing vgmig file as this is the first time you are running the phase 2 and 3.     So, you don't have a file to load which is what is being asked.   So, just leave this blank and fill in the rest of the info. 

One note, you do NOT need to create a blank EGL project to hold the incoming EGL source.   The Phase 3 tool will do this.  If your application was named A001 in VAgen/Smalltalk, then this is the name it will try to create for you in the workspace.   So, I would delete this project you have now (including deleting from the file system when you are asked).  And then create a simple project (does not need to be an EGL project) with some other name (for example VGtoEGLControl).

You can choose to "save" the settings on page 2 of the dialog and when the run is complete, you will have a .vgmig file created.  You can use this to seed the dialogs with information on any subsequent runs of phase 2 and phase 3.

Hope this helps.

Mark