Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-07T14:54:21Z by k0da
IrannaAnkad
IrannaAnkad
9 Posts

Pinned topic Why RHCS is not supported on Power?

‏2012-11-16T12:10:12Z |

Hello..
I learn that none of RHEL releases support RHCS on PPC systems. Are there any technical reasons for this?
(Refer this link -> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/5.4_Release_Notes/Clustering.html)

The reason I am enquiring is because, we keep hearing from lab services folks that most of the Indian customers prefer RHEL & hence it might hurt us, if there is no support for native low-cost HA solution for Power on RHEL.
Please correct me if I am misunderstood & let me know if LTC has any proposals for such RHEL customers.

Thanks!
Updated on 2012-12-07T14:54:21Z at 2012-12-07T14:54:21Z by k0da
  • Bill_Buros
    Bill_Buros
    164 Posts

Re: Why RHCS is not supported on Power?

‏2012-11-16T16:29:17Z  
    In general, if there's a strong need and interested customers, that's a great question to ask Red Hat.    I don't think there are any specific technical reasons which would preclude the offering from being available, but would welcome a discussion here as an educational exercise if there are requirements.

There are many ways to address the high-availability needs of customers and solutions, so in those specific cases, it would be a good exercise to understand what's really needed.

As an example, in the Big Data and Analytics space, scale-out technologies are becoming more tolerant and resilient to nodes occasionally losing connectivity or dropping out of the cluster, so "pure" HA approaches are often not required.    

Since there are also various mechanisms to providing easy fail-over approaches - a poor man's approach to HA can be implemented.   Again, it simply depends on what is needed.
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    105 Posts

‏2012-11-16T18:13:10Z  
    Another solution is linux-ha  (www.linux-ha.org)

It consists of a few different pieces: pacemaker (cluster resource manager),  heartbeat (cluster messaging layer), resource agents and 'cluster_glue' (set of libs and tools).

RedHat offers most of these pieces as binaries as a tech preview, (no support). I'm not sure if they offer the ppc64 tech preview binaries, but the aforementioned pieces do have some pHyp integration thanks to Alan Robertson's and Dave Blaschke's involvement in the project. They wrote STONITH methods for pHyp. STONITH hilariously stands for "shoot the other node in the head". They essentially make sure the other node is down.

So, today, it's a bit of a build-your-own solution, but I think it works, and it's good to know about in case there are customers that may be interested in trying it out.
  • IrannaAnkad
    IrannaAnkad
    9 Posts

‏2012-11-20T05:53:48Z  
    In general, if there's a strong need and interested customers, that's a great question to ask Red Hat.    I don't think there are any specific technical reasons which would preclude the offering from being available, but would welcome a discussion here as an educational exercise if there are requirements.

There are many ways to address the high-availability needs of customers and solutions, so in those specific cases, it would be a good exercise to understand what's really needed.

As an example, in the Big Data and Analytics space, scale-out technologies are becoming more tolerant and resilient to nodes occasionally losing connectivity or dropping out of the cluster, so "pure" HA approaches are often not required.    

Since there are also various mechanisms to providing easy fail-over approaches - a poor man's approach to HA can be implemented.   Again, it simply depends on what is needed.
    Excellent..!
    Alright then, let me find out what those customers were really looking out in this space and will get back with more details.

Thanks Bill, Jay!
  • k0da
    k0da
    48 Posts

‏2012-12-07T14:54:21Z  
    If you are looking for open source HA solution for PowerLinux. There is Hight Availability Extension available from SUSE.
    Whole cluster stack is available and supported for all architectures including OCFS2 filesystem. It comes with SLES subscription for PowerLinux or zSeries for free.

https://www.suse.com/products/highavailability/
    https://www.suse.com/documentation/sle_ha/ 
    Updated on 2012-12-07T14:54:21Z at 2012-12-07T14:54:21Z by k0da