Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-15T15:34:18Z by EdJackson
EdJackson
EdJackson
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BigInsights and VirtualBox

‏2013-07-08T09:29:13Z |

Has anyone had any success getting the VMWare image to run on VirtualBox? I've tried creating a new virtual machine and attaching the VMWare disk image, but no luck - the attached screenshot shows the error. 

• StacyHallman
    StacyHallman
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BigInsights and VirtualBox

‏2013-07-13T21:40:40Z  in response to EdJackson

Ed,

I'm no expert, but are you sure you can take a VMWare image and simply drop it on VB and expect it to run? This link may shed some light?

http://www.howtogeek.com/125640/how-to-convert-virtual-machines-between-virtualbox-and-vmware/

• EdJackson
      EdJackson
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BigInsights and VirtualBox

‏2013-07-15T15:34:18Z  in response to StacyHallman

Thanks Stacy. Unfortunately I don't have VMPlayer to export the appliance as we don't license it in our environment so the instructions there won't work for me. 

However, the VMWare disk format used can be mounted directly by VirtualBox. So, if you create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox and assign it the Big Insights disk image as it's main hard disk it can indeed boot.

However, it freezes on boot as the settings I have used in VirtualBox are different than the VMPlayer settings. So, if anyone has a working set of settings for VirtualBox that can boot the Big Insights disk image that is what I required.