Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-30T10:02:44Z by theINtoy
Vadugu
Vadugu
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Maven plugins/goals for deploying applications in WAS 8.5.5 application server

‏2013-09-25T04:09:37Z |

Hi

I am using WAS 8.5.5 app server and wants to deploy the Java EE applications through maven configuration. Please note that I am not using the liberty profile but the full WAS 8.5.5.  Are there available plugins that can be leveraged?

Please share any links , pointers or documentation that could be helpful for the above tasks.  Also are there any Ant tasks that can be configured using maven for deployment to WAS8.5.5.

Thank You.

• Alasdair
    Alasdair
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Maven plugins/goals for deploying applications in WAS 8.5.5 application server

‏2013-09-25T09:13:44Z  in response to Vadugu

Hi,

We don't provide any maven plugins for controlling full profile servers, however there are a set of ant tasks so you should be able to use the antrun plugin to shell out to an ant script to do what you need. There is a topic in our infocenter for using the tasks. The documentation for the tasks are in the Javadoc for the classes available here: com.ibm.websphere.ant.tasks

I hope this helps
    Alasdair

• theINtoy
      theINtoy
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Maven plugins/goals for deploying applications in WAS 8.5.5 application server

‏2013-10-30T10:02:44Z  in response to Alasdair

Hi.

I am trying to achieve the same. Deploy using maven to WebSphere 8.5. Not having a maven plugin is really bad. Maven is very mature and has been around for at least 7 years. Many developments use maven over ANT. Is there any plan to provide a maven plugin? If not how could I request one?

Being able to use the ant-run plugin does mean I can try to achieve remote deployment through the ant tasks but I am having many issues with the ant tasks.

Firstly, I am trying to deploy remotely. I don't have WebSphere installed on my local PC or my build server. I am now of the opinion that I need to have these installed locally for some reason. Can you confirm this?

The documentation: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.javadoc.doc/web/apidocs/com/ibm/websphere/ant/tasks/InstallApplication.html suggests that the wasHome is optional.

I have the following pom snippet:
      <wsInstallApp host="${hostName}" conntype="SOAP"
                                          user="user" debug="true" port="${connPort}" password="password"
                                          ear="${earname}"
                                          options="-verbose true -cell ${wasCell} -cluster ${wasCluster}"
                                          failonerror="true" />

I am clearly defining a host, port and SOAP protocol. If I leave the wasHome setting out I get:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (default) on project my-ear:
      An Ant BuildException has occured: Unable to determine WebSphere Application Server Home directory. Please use the wasHome task attribute or set the was.root System property.

Adding wasHome as c:\tmp\bin:

<wsInstallApp host="${hostName}" conntype="SOAP"
                                          user="user" debug="true" port="${connPort}" password="password"
                                          ear="${earname}" wasHome="${wasHome.dir}"
                                          options="-verbose true -cell ${wasCell} -cluster ${wasCluster}"
                                          failonerror="true" />

Gives this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (default) on project my-ear:
      An Ant BuildException has occured: Unable to parse setupCmdLine: C:\tmp\bin\setupCmdLine.bat (The system cannot find the path specified)

Why is it trying to look locally? Is it that the only way to do a remote deploy is to have a local install of WAS first?