IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-10-23T15:37:47Z by mwheel110
TRI_Harder
TRI_Harder
98 Posts

Pinned topic Best practice for Delete or Retire of records

‏2017-09-26T21:06:17Z | best delete. practice. retire

Hi All,

So I have some records in the Classifications hierarchy.  These classifications are now associated to several BO's like the Building Equipment and Tasks.  I want to delete some of the values in the Classification hierarchy because they are values we do not want users to use in the future.  I understand that the best practice is the change the status of the record to Retire for audit purposes.  But if we decided to just Delete those records, what is the impact to any of the associated BO's?  Would I have to create a WF to remove the associations?

Thanks in advance!

• mwheel110
    mwheel110
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Best practice for Delete or Retire of records

‏2017-10-23T15:37:47Z  

Hi TRI_Harder,

There are certain Classification records that are used in forms/workflows/queries.  If you delete one of these records that are used in the application, you will in effect, lose some application functionality.  Take for example "triClauseType" (Lease Clause), several of these classification values are used on the Lease Clause form to determine which sections of the clause to unhide. 

I would suggest a best practice would be to look in the Data Modeler for the Business Object of the classification you want to delete records on.  Select the triNameTX field and click 'Where Used'.  If nothing comes back you should be pretty safe to make changes to that classifications record list.  (add/delete/modify).  If you see workflows, queries, forms etc come back as using this field, you'll need to analyze each to determine if your business needs them.  However, I'd suggest pushing back against the business and advise the application requires the values in question though.

- Mark

• scott_ruch_wipro
    scott_ruch_wipro
    13 Posts

‏2017-09-27T16:07:06Z  

Are these references required in any way? I'd be careful with removing a reference that might be necessary.

• mwheel110
    mwheel110
    10 Posts

‏2017-10-23T15:37:47Z  

Hi TRI_Harder,

There are certain Classification records that are used in forms/workflows/queries.  If you delete one of these records that are used in the application, you will in effect, lose some application functionality.  Take for example "triClauseType" (Lease Clause), several of these classification values are used on the Lease Clause form to determine which sections of the clause to unhide. 

I would suggest a best practice would be to look in the Data Modeler for the Business Object of the classification you want to delete records on.  Select the triNameTX field and click 'Where Used'.  If nothing comes back you should be pretty safe to make changes to that classifications record list.  (add/delete/modify).  If you see workflows, queries, forms etc come back as using this field, you'll need to analyze each to determine if your business needs them.  However, I'd suggest pushing back against the business and advise the application requires the values in question though.

- Mark