14 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-10T17:43:38Z by burningrose
burningrose
burningrose
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Rational Change Database Backup

‏2013-07-10T06:06:17Z |

Hello!

I am using IBM Rational Change 5.3.  I want to make backup of my database (windows server 2003) so that if my system crashed accidently I can restore it to previous state. Can any one help me about this ? and also how to restore the backup.

Thanks

• Mike.Scharnow
    Mike.Scharnow
    23 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Rational Change Database Backup

‏2013-07-10T11:36:09Z  in response to burningrose

Hello,

it depends a little bit on your installation (jetty vs. WebSphere or TomCat, apache vs. Tivoli, Informix vs. Oracle).

You will want to take care of:

1. the lifecycle definition including customizations and other definitions. 

2. your data (problems including attachments etc.)

3. your user and group information

1 completely resides in your web server's directory. If you use the included jetty webserver, you should back up the complete directory "jetty" and all its sub directories. If your Change installation crashes, restore the directory and everything should be fine (ok, to set up a completely new server, you will also have to recreate the Windows services and shortcuts and the like -- reinstall Change and then restore the jetty directory.

2 resides in the Synergy database that your Change installation is connected to. Browse to your Synergy installation and have a look at the command "ccmdb backup". Given the correct parameters, it will create a dump file of your database named <database>.cpk. In case your database is corrupted, delete your database and re-create it using the command "ccmdb restore". If your Synergy installation itself is broken, you will have to re-install Synergy from your installation media before restoring the db

3 is stored in the RDS. For the apache RDS, there is a script "backup.cmd" in the directory RDSUtility. This will create a copy of the data in some given directory. If your database is corrupt, you can restore the data directory, if the RDS is broken, reinstall it before restoring the data directory.

For other environments check the respective information on the IBM pages, e.g. http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rdirserv/v5r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.rds.administering.doc/topics/t_Backing_up_the_data_tiv.html for backing up Tivoli. Google will be your friend here.

Hope this helps and best regards,

Mike

• burningrose
      burningrose
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-23T04:04:45Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Hello

Thanks mike for helping me.

First of all sorry for being late. let me tell you that we are using tomcat installation while installing rational change, RDS is also installed. we have select os authentication mode during installation.. kindly tell me how to backup the database so that we could make sure that every part of the data is backed up e.g CRs, attachments etc.

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
        Mike.Scharnow
        23 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-23T06:38:38Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

concerning 1 (lifecycle etc.) when using Tomcat.
        If I read http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/deploy-rational-change-apache-tomcat-server/ correctly, during installation you created a <Tomcat_Home> directory, which contains a subdirectory 'webapps' which contains a directory called depending on your choice, e.g. "change" or something similar. You will at least have to backup the "change" directory, but I would advise to backup the complete Tomcat-Home-Directory.

The answer for 2 (CRs, attachments, all your data …) does not change. Use the "ccmdb backup" command. Google for "ibm synergy backup" - you will see links to the "Administration Guide" (for Windows or Unix). This explains the concepts. And there is also a link to "ccmdb backup for UNIX on Informix - IBM" which explains the parameters of the script.

The answer for 3 (user information) is also still valid. Google for "backup rational rds" and you will find the link "Backing up the IBM Rational Directory Server", which should guide you.

BR,

Mike

• burningrose
          burningrose
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-02T18:30:50Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Hello Mike

I am sending you screen shots of RDS and Rational change installation.

About Change installation in selecting server type i didnt remember yet what did i select at time of installation. either standalone or central? my server contains database of synergy, doors etc.  every one has access to db according to given rights.  So am not sure about about stand alone or central server.  so according to these screens can you guide me through?

If i remember these screens are taken during installation of seperate PC which was not over network.

Thanks

• Mike.Scharnow
            Mike.Scharnow
            23 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-02T21:44:38Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

Hmm, if I see it correctly, you use the tomcat version of the RDS and you use the same web server which provides the RDS for your change installation.

So, backup your directory f:\program files\ibm\rational\rds_5.1.1  and your RDS database should be backed up as well as your Change installation, including your lifecycle definitions etc.

After this is completed, you only need your synergy database to be backed up. If you cannot remember where your database is stored, start the admin application of Change, go to Administration -> Server, click on the database(s) and note down the location of your database(s). 

For each database, use the "ccmdb backup" command.

And read the administration guide!

I'm on vacation from tomorrow on for some two or three weeks. So, Hope this helps.

Mike

• burningrose
    burningrose
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-29T05:24:24Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Mike,

I am trying to backup my ibm synergy through "ccmdb unpack" command but getting an error.  When i try it for the first time I did it successfully  but now when I am trying to backup again getting an error something like that:

Error reporting cmserver\databases\training

could not open file \\cmserver\databases\training\db\DBLock

I am unable to understand this error. I try to search it over internet  but still no solution yet. 

Looking forward for your reply

Umair

• burningrose
    burningrose
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T05:56:21Z  in response to burningrose

Hello

I used ccmdb backup and ccmdb pack to backup the database but unable to restore the homepage after restoring.  Is there some way to  restore it on client as it was before? or a client has to create his homepage again.  And is other changes will also be restored?

Thanks

• Mike.Scharnow
      Mike.Scharnow
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T05:58:38Z  in response to burningrose

the home pages are stored in the RDS. 

Restore your backup of the RDS and if you have changed nothing else, you should be able to see the home pages again.

BR,
      Mike

• burningrose
    burningrose
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T07:42:51Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Mike.

Thanks for your help.  Well I followed your steps for getting back user customisation page but unable to do so.  Is it possible that instead of using "backup.cmd" I restore RDS of previous date from ghost backup?  if I restore RDS like I mentioned in above line, will this thing provide user customisation page?  But I didn't reinstall RDS, should I have to reinstall it to got my user customisation pages as they were earlier?

Actually I want to know that will RDS folder from ghost backup of window will solve the problem if I reinstall my RDS?

Thanks

Umair

• Mike.Scharnow
      Mike.Scharnow
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T10:02:10Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

Hm. These definitions are (at least as far as I know) stored in the directory "f:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\RDS_5.1.1\apacheds_1.5.5\rdsinst". So, using "restore.cmd" is enough, using a ghost copy of this directory is not necessary.

If you stopped the RDS, restored this directory and restarted the RDS, the home page should be available again.

Note however that the exact path to the database is stored in the definitions of the home page.

So, if you for example have a home page that works for database \\server\ccmdb\db1, make a copy of this and restore this database as \\server\ccmdb\db2, then the home page is not available any more.

@other folks reading this: please tell me in case I am not correct here.

@umair: you could of course restore your complete directory structure of your computer from a ghost copy (including the database directory) to get back your old state, but as stated above, this should not be necessary

Best regards,
      Mike

• burningrose
        burningrose
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-09T09:47:24Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Hello Mike.

1. Thanks I read your instructions.  Let me tell you one thing that I am doing all these tests on a seperate computer not on the main server (but user customisation page which doesnt available for users (this problem is on server). Now when I try to run backup.cmd on seperate computer it gives me the error ( image attached).  But when I do the same procedure on server machine it works correctly.  What could be the reason behind this?

2. Kindly tell me that how to restore the backup or RDS in the same rds directory (for example in c:\prgramfiles\ibm\rational\rds_5.1.1) ? 

3. After restoring RDS to its original location will users be able to view their customised home pages?

Umair

Attachments

• Mike.Scharnow
          Mike.Scharnow
          23 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-09T14:10:45Z  in response to burningrose

Hello Umair,

1. The command xcopy.exe should exist in %windir%\system32 (usually c:\windows\system32). So I presume that your user "ccm_root" does not have %windir%\system32 in its path. Check your environment variables

2. In the same directory as "backup.cmd" there is the command "restore.cmd". The parameter for this script is the same as for backup.cmd, i.e. the location of your backup files. Have a look at the content of the two cmd files and you see that they consist mostly of a simple xcopy command, so you can easily write your own script that backup/restores to other destinations.

3. as far as I know and read from the documentation, yes. I will try this out for myself later this or next week and can give you a confirmation

BR,
          Mike

• burningrose
            burningrose
            10 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-10T17:43:38Z  in response to Mike.Scharnow

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your work that you have done so far and still guiding me.  We have some internet issues here in office as well as in area where living. I hope these issues will be resolved within a week and  i will be able to explain you progress.

Umair