Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-11T03:24:23Z by lesleyajohnson76
lesleyajohnson76
lesleyajohnson76
126 Posts

Pinned topic Can you have a field refer to a lookup AND be manual entry?

‏2013-07-02T22:29:19Z |

Hi, In SCCD 7.5, is there a way to make a field have 2 forms of entry:

1. select from an offered list that comes from a lookup that is mapped to a different object; AND

2. enter a manual value that is not included in the lookup list.

Right now, user gets an error if tries to enter a manual value, that is not included in the lookup list. Want to be able to do both.

Thanks!

Lesley Johnson

• SASHULL
    SASHULL
    393 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can you have a field refer to a lookup AND be manual entry?

‏2013-07-03T04:02:30Z  

Lesley,

This is possible and I could have sworn a different post existed on the forums on the exact steps but my searching has not been successful. The key is you want to associate a Table Domain to your attribute without having a validation where clause. Based on your example, it may be that you already have a table domain (you state it's mapped to a different object) and in which case removing the validation where clause will solve your issue.

If you are currently using a traditional domain (like ALNDOMAIN), then you can pull from that table using a table domain on the ALNDOMAIN table where domainid='YOURDOMAIN' as the List Where Clause and you may need to create a custom lookup and may need to define the maxlookupmap so it knows how to store the values from ALNDOMAIN to your object.

I don't want to write all the steps down in case you're already using a Table Domain, but if you are not let me know if you have questions and I can go in more depth.

• SASHULL
    SASHULL
    393 Posts

‏2013-07-03T04:02:30Z  

Lesley,

This is possible and I could have sworn a different post existed on the forums on the exact steps but my searching has not been successful. The key is you want to associate a Table Domain to your attribute without having a validation where clause. Based on your example, it may be that you already have a table domain (you state it's mapped to a different object) and in which case removing the validation where clause will solve your issue.

If you are currently using a traditional domain (like ALNDOMAIN), then you can pull from that table using a table domain on the ALNDOMAIN table where domainid='YOURDOMAIN' as the List Where Clause and you may need to create a custom lookup and may need to define the maxlookupmap so it knows how to store the values from ALNDOMAIN to your object.

I don't want to write all the steps down in case you're already using a Table Domain, but if you are not let me know if you have questions and I can go in more depth.

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

‏2013-07-11T03:24:23Z  
    • SASHULL
    • ‏2013-07-03T04:02:30Z

Lesley,

Sashull,

I removed the Validation Where Clause from the Table Domain and it works!

Thank you for your assistance and knowledge,

Lesley Johnson