Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-21T11:53:51Z by N Campbell
CharlesAZ
CharlesAZ
6 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos 10.1 Framework and Oracle Synonym ?

‏2013-05-10T16:51:51Z |

Greetings!

Question:  We have a requirment to bring in a Synonym into a Cognos FM Package/Model,  and special requirements for doing this within FM or any special Grants required?

Thank you!

Charlie

• CharlesAZ
    CharlesAZ
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos 10.1 Framework and Oracle Synonym ?

‏2013-05-11T01:28:30Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-05-10T19:35:18Z

I have not come across this requirement, but just read about Oracle Synonyms and wonder what the issue is? If there is sufficient access privileges to read the Synonym it should not be a problem. However, if you're using a data warehouse (which you SHOULD), why are you dealing with Synonyms? The DW should be built by the ETL process and all objects you need should belong to the same sign-on.

Whatever the cause is, it should work based on my understanding.

Good luck,
    Opher

Hi Opher,

Fair questions.  So, to start with, I got this asked of me from another developer in the group, and I told him that its my opinion, if you really need a Synonym, make sure you have proper permissions/grants setup or you will not see it or select it.

I dug into it more today and found out that grants where not applied to Functional ID that required access.  I found out the need was because there is a table that is part of the framework required for some reporting logic that resides on a different server then the rest.   But, that is another story all together.

thanks

charlie

• OpherB
    OpherB
    769 Posts

‏2013-05-10T19:35:18Z  

I have not come across this requirement, but just read about Oracle Synonyms and wonder what the issue is? If there is sufficient access privileges to read the Synonym it should not be a problem. However, if you're using a data warehouse (which you SHOULD), why are you dealing with Synonyms? The DW should be built by the ETL process and all objects you need should belong to the same sign-on.

Good luck,
    Opher

• CharlesAZ
    CharlesAZ
    6 Posts

‏2013-05-11T01:28:30Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-05-10T19:35:18Z

Good luck,
    Opher

Hi Opher,

Fair questions.  So, to start with, I got this asked of me from another developer in the group, and I told him that its my opinion, if you really need a Synonym, make sure you have proper permissions/grants setup or you will not see it or select it.

I dug into it more today and found out that grants where not applied to Functional ID that required access.  I found out the need was because there is a table that is part of the framework required for some reporting logic that resides on a different server then the rest.   But, that is another story all together.

thanks

charlie

• N Campbell
    N Campbell
    21 Posts

‏2013-05-21T11:53:51Z  

A synonym in ORACLE can point to various objects, in essence they appear to be 'that object' just with an alternate name and as applicable the user would have to meet your ORACLE security requirements to use it etc. To the Cognos products 'in essence' they are just tables etc. Same is true for other vendors who offer a similar concept.