• 16 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-07T22:59:35Z by thalapathi
thalapathi
thalapathi
129 Posts

Pinned topic CC/CQ 7.1.2.6 to 8.0.1 upgrade on AIX

‏2013-10-26T19:11:48Z |

Hi All,

We got CC/CQ multisite environment  hosted on AIX servers. Our  environment includes 5 sites. Currently we are looking forward to upgrade to 8.0.1 version due to end of support of 7.1.2 version.

We are planning to perform upgrade without moving to VOBs schema 80 and feature level 7. Schema and feature level upgrade are planned to start after upgrading the server and clients to 8.0.1. Also planning to start the upgrade initially on one  master site and upgrading the servers later on other sites.

I hope lots of people in this forum might have done the CC/CQ 8.0 upgrade . It would be a real help if you could share your experience and upgrade guide for us.

Waiting for your valuable updates.

Cheers,

Jose

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

Re: CC/CQ 7.1.2.6 to 8.0.1 upgrade on AIX

‏2013-10-28T14:55:16Z  

Hi Jose,

This is a common scenario. Please do read through the upgrade section of the info center as part of your preparation. The 8.0.1 link seems to be down at the moment but normally you should be able to get to it through http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27010158

Please feel free to post a specific question and open a PMR if you need more urgent help during the upgrade.

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-10-30T19:32:54Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-10-28T14:55:16Z

Hi Jose,

This is a common scenario. Please do read through the upgrade section of the info center as part of your preparation. The 8.0.1 link seems to be down at the moment but normally you should be able to get to it through http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27010158

Please feel free to post a specific question and open a PMR if you need more urgent help during the upgrade.

Hi Benray,

Thanks for your reply.

We are planning to upgrade CC/CQ from 7.1.2.6 to 8.0.1. As of now we are going to test it on our test environment. 

Got few queries on the upgrade.

1.  How to upgrade Rational  License server to 8.1.3 ? In the prior 7.1.2.6 version, we used license setup script to install License Server, but now I believe we need to install using IBM Installation Manager. Need to know what are the things to be backed up from the existing version to upgrade to 8.1.3

2. ClearQuest 8.0.1 native client doesn't support Windows XP. Is the new CC remote client ( CC Team Explorer) in 8.0.1 support Windows XP?

3. Does CC/CQ multisite sync's work between sites in multiple versions?

Site A (CC/CQ 7.1.2.6)  --- Site B (CC/CQ 8.0.1)

Waiting for your reply.

Cheers,

Jose

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-10-30T20:21:17Z  

Hi Benray,

Thanks for your reply.

We are planning to upgrade CC/CQ from 7.1.2.6 to 8.0.1. As of now we are going to test it on our test environment. 

Got few queries on the upgrade.

1.  How to upgrade Rational  License server to 8.1.3 ? In the prior 7.1.2.6 version, we used license setup script to install License Server, but now I believe we need to install using IBM Installation Manager. Need to know what are the things to be backed up from the existing version to upgrade to 8.1.3

2. ClearQuest 8.0.1 native client doesn't support Windows XP. Is the new CC remote client ( CC Team Explorer) in 8.0.1 support Windows XP?

3. Does CC/CQ multisite sync's work between sites in multiple versions?

Site A (CC/CQ 7.1.2.6)  --- Site B (CC/CQ 8.0.1)

Waiting for your reply.

Cheers,

Jose

Sure - here are my thoughts.

1. I haven't had to update any RLKS servers to 8.1.3 or 8.1.4. I would start here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rational/v0r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.license.doc/topics/c_node_upgrading.html

2. I did check the SPCR reports and chatted with the CQ team and can confirm XP is not supported in CQ 8.0.1. Whether it works or not is another question so if you ran into problems that would be at your own risk. XP is out of support in a few months anyway so I would think it a bit risky to stay on that platform. However yes CTE is still supported on Windows XP with ClearCase 8.0.1. You could also use a CQ web server with a browser.

3. I can't speak to ClearQuest multisite as I've never used it but yes you can replicate between ClearCase sites running 7 and 8 _ONLY_ if the feature level is low enough that both sites support it. Generally speaking that is feature level 5 although you could go up to FL6 if you need synchronous request for mastership. So either you will use existing VOBs at feature level 5, or you will create VOBs at the CC 7 site, or if you create VOBs at the CC 8 site you must use the -flevel option so the feature level is not too high to replicate to CC 7 (eg -flevel 5).

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-10-30T22:55:52Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-10-30T20:21:17Z

Sure - here are my thoughts.

1. I haven't had to update any RLKS servers to 8.1.3 or 8.1.4. I would start here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rational/v0r0m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.license.doc/topics/c_node_upgrading.html

2. I did check the SPCR reports and chatted with the CQ team and can confirm XP is not supported in CQ 8.0.1. Whether it works or not is another question so if you ran into problems that would be at your own risk. XP is out of support in a few months anyway so I would think it a bit risky to stay on that platform. However yes CTE is still supported on Windows XP with ClearCase 8.0.1. You could also use a CQ web server with a browser.

3. I can't speak to ClearQuest multisite as I've never used it but yes you can replicate between ClearCase sites running 7 and 8 _ONLY_ if the feature level is low enough that both sites support it. Generally speaking that is feature level 5 although you could go up to FL6 if you need synchronous request for mastership. So either you will use existing VOBs at feature level 5, or you will create VOBs at the CC 7 site, or if you create VOBs at the CC 8 site you must use the -flevel option so the feature level is not too high to replicate to CC 7 (eg -flevel 5).

Hi Benray,

Excellent. Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Have you got any step by step guide to install IBM WAS 8.5 and IHS 8.5 on AIX 6.1 server  as a prerequisite for the CC/CQ 8.0.1 upgrade?

Cheers,

Jose

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-10-31T01:45:09Z  

Hi Benray,

Excellent. Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Have you got any step by step guide to install IBM WAS 8.5 and IHS 8.5 on AIX 6.1 server  as a prerequisite for the CC/CQ 8.0.1 upgrade?

Cheers,

Jose

I'm sure the WAS team has a guide somewhere but I'm not sure where offhand. Since WAS installs now with Installation Manager it's pretty simple assuming you have a gui (which you might not on AIX ... that could be a problem since you will either have to record a response file or see if the WAS support team has a sample). All you do is add the repositories for WAS including supplement & toolkit to get IHS, web plugin etc then pick the IHS port and install. I would recommend creating a new CCRC profile during the WAN Server portion of the CC install as it will do some auto-configuration for you. Then create a separate CQ profile if this is all on the same machine.

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-11-01T00:15:19Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-10-31T01:45:09Z

I'm sure the WAS team has a guide somewhere but I'm not sure where offhand. Since WAS installs now with Installation Manager it's pretty simple assuming you have a gui (which you might not on AIX ... that could be a problem since you will either have to record a response file or see if the WAS support team has a sample). All you do is add the repositories for WAS including supplement & toolkit to get IHS, web plugin etc then pick the IHS port and install. I would recommend creating a new CCRC profile during the WAN Server portion of the CC install as it will do some auto-configuration for you. Then create a separate CQ profile if this is all on the same machine.

Hi Benray,

Thanks a ton for your update. In one site, we didn't support CCRC and CQ web. By default when we upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1.2.6, we installed CM server, but we didn't configured. Is it mandatory to install CCRC WAN Server for the 8.0.1. upgrade. If its not mandatory, does the 8.0.1 upgrade will uninstall the existing CM server.

Cheers,

Jose

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-06T02:01:27Z  

Hi Benray,

Thanks a ton for your update. In one site, we didn't support CCRC and CQ web. By default when we upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1.2.6, we installed CM server, but we didn't configured. Is it mandatory to install CCRC WAN Server for the 8.0.1. upgrade. If its not mandatory, does the 8.0.1 upgrade will uninstall the existing CM server.

Cheers,

Jose

Having trouble getting a response posted properly. Perhaps there's a limit so I'll try in parts.
    Updated on 2013-11-06T02:03:01Z at 2013-11-06T02:03:01Z by benray
  • benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-06T02:04:37Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-06T02:01:27Z
    Having trouble getting a response posted properly. Perhaps there's a limit so I'll try in parts.

Well, if you didn't configure (or use?) CM Server it was probably not helpful to install it as WebSphere can take up significant resources (like memory) when started. It is certainly not mandatory to install WAN Server for functional use of ClearCase or ClearQuest. The main reason to install it is if you have remote clients that are not able to use the full suite over a wide area network. 

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-06T02:06:30Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-06T02:04:37Z

Well, if you didn't configure (or use?) CM Server it was probably not helpful to install it as WebSphere can take up significant resources (like memory) when started. It is certainly not mandatory to install WAN Server for functional use of ClearCase or ClearQuest. The main reason to install it is if you have remote clients that are not able to use the full suite over a wide area network. 

Or you might have a CQ web server to facilitate an integration that uses OSLC, or perhaps just some users without CQ installed that want to see records in a browser. 

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-06T02:09:44Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-06T02:06:30Z

Or you might have a CQ web server to facilitate an integration that uses OSLC, or perhaps just some users without CQ installed that want to see records in a browser. 

Whether or not you should install a WAN Server depends on your needs and requirements. Assuming the system is  adequate, you can always install it later, or stand up a new web server later.

Updated on 2013-11-06T02:11:00Z at 2013-11-06T02:11:00Z by benray
  • benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-06T02:10:00Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-06T02:09:44Z

Whether or not you should install a WAN Server depends on your needs and requirements. Assuming the system is  adequate, you can always install it later, or stand up a new web server later.

The version of WAS installed with CC/CQ 7.1 is tightly integrated into the installation of the product (unless you installed the profile into your own preexisting WebSphere instance which is not typical). The only version supported is WebSphere 6.1 and it must be uninstalled to upgrade to CC/CQ  8.x. If you are going to do a straight upgrade from 7.1 with CM Server to 8.x with WAN Server I would recommend these steps unless you have a reason to change them.

- modify the CC/CQ installs to remove the CM Server component. this will uninstall WAS and IHS

- update CC and CQ to the desired version

- install WAS 8 or 8.5

- modify the CC/CQ installs to add the WAN Server component. create new profiles unless you have reason to use an exising one (this is not common)
  • thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-11-06T22:16:26Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-06T02:10:00Z
    The version of WAS installed with CC/CQ 7.1 is tightly integrated into the installation of the product (unless you installed the profile into your own preexisting WebSphere instance which is not typical). The only version supported is WebSphere 6.1 and it must be uninstalled to upgrade to CC/CQ  8.x. If you are going to do a straight upgrade from 7.1 with CM Server to 8.x with WAN Server I would recommend these steps unless you have a reason to change them.

- modify the CC/CQ installs to remove the CM Server component. this will uninstall WAS and IHS

- update CC and CQ to the desired version

- install WAS 8 or 8.5

- modify the CC/CQ installs to add the WAN Server component. create new profiles unless you have reason to use an exising one (this is not common)

Hi Benray,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. Is it possible to have CC/CQ native client 7.1.2.6 and CCRC 8.0.1.x(CTE) on the same machine?

Cheers,

Jose

Updated on 2013-11-06T22:16:48Z at 2013-11-06T22:16:48Z by thalapathi
  • benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-07T03:43:24Z  

Hi Benray,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. Is it possible to have CC/CQ native client 7.1.2.6 and CCRC 8.0.1.x(CTE) on the same machine?

Cheers,

Jose

Yes, what you need to do is install CC/CQ 7.1.2.x via Installation Manager. Then you can download a desired version of Eclipse from eclipse.org and install the CTE 8.x plugin into it from your WAN server update site (eg http://server/ccrc/update).

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-11-07T12:42:38Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-07T03:43:24Z

Yes, what you need to do is install CC/CQ 7.1.2.x via Installation Manager. Then you can download a desired version of Eclipse from eclipse.org and install the CTE 8.x plugin into it from your WAN server update site (eg http://server/ccrc/update).

Hi Benray,

Thanks for your reply.

I have got CC/CQ native clients (not CCRC)  installed using IBM IM. Is it possible to install CTE standalone client (not the CTE eclipse client) on the same machine using IBM IM?

Cheers,

Jose

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

‏2013-11-07T14:10:47Z  

Hi Benray,

Thanks for your reply.

I have got CC/CQ native clients (not CCRC)  installed using IBM IM. Is it possible to install CTE standalone client (not the CTE eclipse client) on the same machine using IBM IM?

Cheers,

Jose

Yes but only if they are the same version as they will be installed in the same package group to share resources.

If you are mixing versions, you really should use a standalone eclipse to test the WAN Server client. It is very easy to install, move or remove and does not affect IM.

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    129 Posts

‏2013-11-07T22:59:35Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-11-07T14:10:47Z

Yes but only if they are the same version as they will be installed in the same package group to share resources.

If you are mixing versions, you really should use a standalone eclipse to test the WAN Server client. It is very easy to install, move or remove and does not affect IM.

Hi Benray,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You  are confirming that its not possible to have CC/CQ 7.1.2..x native clients and CCRC 8.0.1.x client on the same machine. Am I right? If I need to install CCRC 8.0.1.x, I need to install standalone eclipse and use CCRC 8.0.1.x eclipse plugin to the standalone eclipse without using IBM IM.

On the other note, we are in the requirements gathering phase for the upgrade. It would be great if you can send me the IBM technote which says "CC/CQ 7.1.2.x native clients and CCRC8.0.1.x are not possible to be installed on the same machine".

Cheers,

Jose