Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-01T22:40:22Z by 1QW2_SSS
1QW2_SSS
1QW2_SSS
19 Posts

Pinned topic ITIM LDAP back up and restore

‏2013-09-25T23:43:59Z |

I would like to take a back up of ITIM LDAP (cluster) then install TDS on a different windows server and restoring the backup. Can someone explain what are the steps I have to follow?

Thanks in advance!

• franzw
    franzw
    396 Posts

Re: ITIM LDAP back up and restore

‏2013-09-26T06:31:05Z  

This is documented in the "Separate system upgrade and data migration" here :  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.isim.doc_6.0/installing/cpt/cpt_ic_ss_migrate.htm

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• 1QW2_SSS
    1QW2_SSS
    19 Posts

‏2013-09-26T22:12:20Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-09-26T06:31:05Z

This is documented in the "Separate system upgrade and data migration" here :  http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.isim.doc_6.0/installing/cpt/cpt_ic_ss_migrate.htm

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Thanks Franz...it certainly helps but it talks about ITIM 5.1 to ITIM 6.0. Do we have any document for ITIM 5.1 as it's part of our Quaterly data restore procedure. I can explain in detail.

• Take back of existing DB and TDS
    • Install DB and TDS on different server
    • Then restore the backup over there
    • Point ITIM 5.1 to the newly restored DB and TDS

Also do you think of any potential impact/risk of doing this? 

Thanks in advance!

• franzw
    franzw
    396 Posts

‏2013-09-27T00:44:02Z  
    • 1QW2_SSS
    • ‏2013-09-26T22:12:20Z

Thanks Franz...it certainly helps but it talks about ITIM 5.1 to ITIM 6.0. Do we have any document for ITIM 5.1 as it's part of our Quaterly data restore procedure. I can explain in detail.

• Take back of existing DB and TDS
    • Install DB and TDS on different server
    • Then restore the backup over there
    • Point ITIM 5.1 to the newly restored DB and TDS

Also do you think of any potential impact/risk of doing this? 

Thanks in advance!

I assume that DB and TDS is installed separately from ITIM in your case.

Your procedure seems sound from what I can deduct here - but the devil is in the detail. An old saying is that a fail-over that has not been exercised is worth nothing - so IMHO this applies to the backup/restore scenario as well.

My advice is to perform the actual restore as an exercise - this will also show you if there are things that you have considered.

One of the things you must ensure is that the DB and TDS backups are syncronized - else you may end up having inconsistencies between the configuration data as ITIM stores configuration data in both places.

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• mark99
    mark99
    26 Posts

‏2013-09-27T06:51:40Z  

To make things worse the websphere has some information on the distributed transactions to both datasources. So to get it right in all conditions you need a syncronized backup of all three.

Better stop or quiesce ITIM

• franzw
    franzw
    396 Posts

‏2013-09-27T07:52:20Z  
    • mark99
    • ‏2013-09-27T06:51:40Z

To make things worse the websphere has some information on the distributed transactions to both datasources. So to get it right in all conditions you need a syncronized backup of all three.

Better stop or quiesce ITIM

You are right - if you have a breakdown running workflows may store things in the tranlogs. Normally this is considered less a problem - i.e. in the restore procedure you would clean the sibus tables and delete the tranlog files to clear out pending transactions.

This is actually covered (in the small letters) in the migration guide referenced earlier - this is why you should cancel all pending requests before starting the upgrade. In a system down situation you may not be that lucky - so I do not think it is a very good idea to try to rescue pending transactions if your server has gone - you have probably other problems that are more important.

And if you are running multi-node NDM I do not believe that there is a way to recover tranlog entries from one node to another - but I am not an expert in WAS NDM recovery....

In a perfect world this would work - but I would definitely try to impose KISS principle as much as possible - especially when it comes to failover/service restore...

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• 1QW2_SSS
    1QW2_SSS
    19 Posts

‏2013-10-01T22:40:22Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-09-27T07:52:20Z

You are right - if you have a breakdown running workflows may store things in the tranlogs. Normally this is considered less a problem - i.e. in the restore procedure you would clean the sibus tables and delete the tranlog files to clear out pending transactions.

This is actually covered (in the small letters) in the migration guide referenced earlier - this is why you should cancel all pending requests before starting the upgrade. In a system down situation you may not be that lucky - so I do not think it is a very good idea to try to rescue pending transactions if your server has gone - you have probably other problems that are more important.

And if you are running multi-node NDM I do not believe that there is a way to recover tranlog entries from one node to another - but I am not an expert in WAS NDM recovery....

In a perfect world this would work - but I would definitely try to impose KISS principle as much as possible - especially when it comes to failover/service restore...

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Thanks much for the explanation, Franz and Mark...I will try this and let you all know how it goes.