3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-13T13:25:33Z by chriscanto
robinsguk
robinsguk
29 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Moving V7000 physical disks between chassis

‏2013-06-13T10:32:34Z |

Hello,

We're looking at migrating data from a hosting company from an EMC SAN to V7000.

The plan is to place a loan V7000 to the remote site, which is in another country, and migrate the EMC data on to the loan V7000.

Once complete we'll power off the V7000 and then remove the 24 x 900GB disks. These will be shipped back to the new DC.

We'll then install the 24 x 900GB disks in to the new V7000.

The new and loan V7000s will be model 324s and will be at the same firmware levels.

I can't think of any reason why the new V7000 shouldn't come up with the LUNs from the loan V7000 but can anyone think of any reason why this shouldn't work.

thanks

Glenn

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    229 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Moving V7000 physical disks between chassis

‏2013-06-13T12:25:07Z  in response to robinsguk

I'm afraid that won't work.   The new V7000 would see the drives, but wouldn't know anything about their previous usage/config.  All you'd be able to do is create new RAID arrays from them, wiping any data that might already be on them.

The information about what drives are in what array and what volumes are created from what storage pool etc is in the cluster state, maintained by the nodes that are operating in the cluster (and hardened to the internal disk in each node canister when they are shutdown).  A backup copy of the most critical cluster state is also written to the drives assigned as quorum disks, but this is only used in disaster recovery scenarios.

If you shipped the loaner system to your new DC as a complete system then you could present that as an external storage system to your new V7000, then use the import wizard (which imports the volumes as image mode copies, then adds a copy on the internal storage, then lets you remove the original copy on the external system, so you can then disconnect the internal system).

• robinsguk
      robinsguk
      29 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T12:35:40Z  in response to chriscanto

Thanks for the response.

Sometime's you're really glad you asked a question :-)

I guess we could ship the disks and the 2 x controllers but we might as well do the whole system?

Glenn

• chriscanto
        chriscanto
        229 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T13:25:33Z  in response to robinsguk

Yep, you could move the disks and the node canisters, but it still wouldn't be as simple as just plugging them in to the new enclosure and powering it on...   The nodes would notice that they're not in the place they expected to be and hold themselves offline in service state.  (This is because there is a cluster id and related information written to the enclosure midplane which protects against nodes being swapped between enclosures accidentally and scribbling all over disks that they shouldn't until the user has confirmed this really is their new home and they can go ahead and take ownership of the h/w).

There's a service procedure to replace a control enclosure, i.e. just the enclosure, keeping the disks and node canisters, so that's what you'd effectively be needing to follow,  but it's a manual process and no fun at all.

The simplest (and therefore by far the safest) approach is likely to be to move the whole system and offer it up to the new one to suck the data off. 

How you suck the data into the new system will depend on what "layer" you configure the two systems with ("replication" or "storage").  This setting controls whether a system is seen as a fellow cluster for remote copy (i.e. partnering for MM/GM) or as an external storage system (i.e. something presenting mdisks).  There's information about this setting in the V7000 Information Center and likely the redbooks too.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you'll need enough fibre channel switch ports free at your new site to be able to connect everything together via the SAN -- direct FC connections between two V7000 systems isn't supported.