JavaFX is a technology and/or product family built on the JRE. JavaFX Script is for developing interactive Web sites. JavaFX Mobile is for developing applications for mobile phones and PDAs.
Script appears to compete with Ajax and Flash. Mobile appears to compete with J2ME, but is more of a complete application for mobile devices.
Where you can learn more:
- "Sun Unleashes Java Technology Innovations to Accelerate Network Growth, Accessibility and Vibrancy at Annual JavaOne Conference" (Sun press release)
- "Sun Radically Simplifies Content Authoring - Previews JavaFX Script" (Sun press release)
- "Feature Story: The Latest Java Innovation - JavaFX" (Sun article)
- "Sun's JavaFX to take on AJAX, Silverlight" (Infoworld)
- "Java's Second Coming" (Business Week)
- "JavaFX -- Simplifying UI for Content Developers" (blog)