According to a poll by Evans Data Corp ranking the popularity of IDEs, RAD came in first, followed by Visual Studio and Delphi. Eclipse and NetBeans came in last. Visual Studio is the most widely used IDE, but RAD is the most popular. So the vendor products that cost money were most popular; the free, open-source tools were least popular. Interesting.
For more info:
- IBM Rational Application Developer Tops the Rankings in New Evans Data Study (Evans Data Corp press release)
- What's The Top IDE? (Jupitermedia)
- IBM Rational Wins IDE Battle Again (eWeek)
- Eclipse comes last in quality vote (The Register)
- Survey: Eclipse trails other IDEs in features (InfoWorld blog)