Some especially interesting articles in this issue:
- Database identity propagation in WebSphere Application Server V6 -- "WebSphere Application Server V6 introduces some changes to the database access infrastructure that make it possible to plug in custom code that affects connections before they are used within a transaction." The article shows how to use this feature to authenticate the application user as the database user as well, so that different users of the same application get different authorization.
- Using Rational Developer to create a simple Web service and use it in a Web application -- An itroductory article on using RAD 6 to develop a Web service provider and client. Just a simple Web service; doesn't get into all of the service integration bus and Web services gateway stuff.
- Everything you always wanted to know about WebSphere Application Server but were afraid to ask -- How many CPUs do I need? Security on Windows? Session replication? All is answered.
To learn more about SOA, ESBs, the SIB, and service facades:
- Is it ever best to use EJB components without facades in service oriented architectures?
- A practical introduction to message mediation -- Part 3
- Building an Enterprise Service Bus with WebSphere Application Server V6 -- Part 5
Plus two items on WebSphere Portal Server and one on WebSphere Product Center.
So, lots of good stuff to go check out.